Reported Ipswich Town target hands in transfer request at Barnsley, according to reports
- Credit: PA
Reported Ipswich Town target, midfielder Marley Watkins, is believed to have handed in a transfer request at the Blues’ Championship rivals, Barnsley
The 26-year-old, who has scored six times for the Reds this season, reportedly handed in the request at Oakwell on Wednesday, however that is expected to be rejected by the South Yorkshire club.
Londoner Watkins, out of contract in the summer, joined Barnsley in the summer of 2015 and played an integral part in the team’s march to play-off glory and Football League Trophy success.
A former Swansea youth player, Watkins began his professional career at Cheltenham, before stints in non-league with Bath and Hereford.
However, the 6ft 1ins midfielder made his name under Terry Butcher at Inverness Caledonian Thistle, scoring eight goals in 59 games.
You may also want to watch:
Watkins scored and made a goal in Barnsley’s opening-day 4-2 defeat at Portman Road, in August.
- 1 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 2 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 3 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 4 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 5 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 6 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 7 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 8 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 9 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 10 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?