Town make a fair point at Leicester

Leicester City 1 Ipswich Town 1IPSWICH Town stretched their current run to just defeat in 14 games when they won a fully deserved Championship point at the Walkers Stadium this afternoon.

Elvin King

Leicester City 1 Ipswich Town 1

IPSWICH Town stretched their current run to just defeat in 14 games when they won a fully deserved Championship point at the Walkers Stadium this afternoon.

David Norris gave Town the lead after 20 seconds with Steve Howard levelling in the 38th minute.

Town's midfield did exceptional well and with better finishing they would have won the game against a top five side

Former Town manager Magilton was at the game working as a TV summariser.

Most Read

Town made three changes from the side that beat Blackpool 2-1 in the FA Cup last weekend. Rosenior, Wright and Stern were all dropped to the substitutes' bench with Bruce, Balkestein and Wickham coming in.

Balkestein was playing his first game since his return from a loan spell at Brentford while 16-year-old Wickham was making his third league start having begun two matches in August.

Murphy was named as keeper substitute for the first time after his clearance to play. He damaged a calf in the warm-up and hobbled off for treatment.

Town got off to the perfect start with a goal after just 20 seconds. Colback made menacing strides down the left and his low cross was bundled into the net by Norris six yards out. McGivern was unable to intervene and Weale stretched but could not reach the ball as it entered the net just inside a post.

The pitch was free of snow but a tad slippery with the game being televised live on satellite TV because of the lack of other football action caused by the snow and ice.

Leicester survived a scramble in their own six-yard box with the home side taking ages to clear the ball, while in the 15th minute a free-kick into the Town box led to a couple of anxious moments until Lee-Barrett dived full length to collect Bruce's attempted clearance.

In the 29th minute Leadbitter leapt high on the goal line to head a Howard header away following a right-wing corner with the home side showing an occasional danger going forward but being kept mainly at bay by a hard working Town.

There was light snow coming down with Town's midfield working hard and effectively but Wickham and Walters unable to hold the ball up front.,

.McAuley's 36th minute bullet header from Leadbitter's corner was expertly tipped over by Weale, and from the resultant corner Leadbitter's drive across the face of the home goal saw a Leicester defender touch the ball a foot wide of the foot of the post.

From going close to being two goals up, Town found themselves level in the 38th minute. Dyer moved in from the right after a quick break, and when Howard took the ball forward, Delaney failed in his attempt to boot the ball forward and a huge gap opened up to allow Howard to go on and beat an exposed Lee-Barrett.

Two minutes later, Fryatt went running clear chased by Delaney with his eventual shot well held by a diving Lee-Barrett.

The 53rd minute saw Lee-Barrett make a fantastic save from a close range Fryatt pile-driver, and within seconds Walters went clear close to goal after a good run by Peters and his pull-back saw the ball cleared for a corner when Leadbitter was standing alone on the penalty spot.

Two minutes later, McGivern appeared to raised his hands at Peters, but after a mass free-for-all the referee settled matters with a chat to both skippers and a free-kick to Town.

In the 59th minute with Town now on top, Walters had a free header from a Colback cross, but saw his effort go a foot wide.

Wickham crossed in the 64th minute as Town created another chance to score but Walters' header deflected off McGivern although the referee gave a goal kick.

Town generally did well for the rest of the game and with suspended Stead up front could well have won.


Leicester City: Weale; Neilson, Morrison, Brown, McGivern; Oakley, King, Wellens (sub Gallagher 70 mins), Dyer (Waghorn 70); Howard (Kermorgant 82), Fryatt. Substitutes: Logan, Adams, N'Guessan, Hobbs.

Ipswich Town: Lee-Barrett; Bruce (Rosenior 56), McAuley, Delaney, Balkestein; Peters, Leadbitter, Norris, Colback (John 82); Walters, Wickham (Garvan 72). Substitutes: Murphy, Quinn, D Wright, Edwards.

Referee: Mr M Haywood (West Yorkshire)

Attendance: 20,758 (1,176 Ipswich).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter