Watch archive video footage from this day in 1992 when Liverpool beat Ipswich Town 3-2 in their FA Cup fifth round replay at Anfield
On February 26, 1992 Ipswich Town pushed Liverpool all the way in their FA Cup fifth round replay at Anfield, before losing 3-2 after extra-time.
Following a wind-interrupted first leg which ended 0-0 at Portman Road the Ipswich side, which went on to win the Second Division title later in 1991-92, fell behind to Ray Houghton’s goal but Gavin Johnson levelled to take the game to extra-time.
Jason Dozzell gave the Blues the lead in the extra period, infuriating Liverpool keeper Bruce Grobbelaar who was calling for offside, as the shock looked on.
However, Jan Molby and then youngster Steve McManaman found the net for the First Division giants as the plucky Blues excited the competition.
Liverpool: Grobbelaar, Jones, Nicol, Wright, Harkness; Houghton, Marsh, Molby, Walters; Saunders, McManaman.
You may also want to watch:
Subs: Rosenthal, Kozma.
Ipswich Town: Forrest, Johnson, Thompson, Stockwell, Wark, Linighan, Milton, Palmer, Whitton, Dozzell, Kiwomya.
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 4 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 5 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 8 15-year-old boy to face trial over alleged Ipswich stabbing
- 9 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 10 Specialist engineers working to fix Ipswich flooding hotspot
Subs: Goddard, Zondervan.