Jim hoping to get Lucky in loan market
IPSWICH want Sheffield United veteran Chris Lucketti to help shore up one of the Championship's leakiest defences.Star sources have revealed that 35-year-old Lucketti is the player Town boss Jim Magilton hopes to sign on loan before Sunday's home clash with Luton.
By Mel Henderson
IPSWICH want Sheffield United veteran Chris Lucketti to help shore up one of the Championship's leakiest defences.
Star sources have revealed that 35-year-old Lucketti is the player Town boss Jim Magilton hopes to sign on loan before Sunday's home clash with Luton.
I also understand that Magilton is looking to bring in a goalkeeper after Lewis Price suffered rib and hip injuries at Southend on Saturday and faces at least two weeks on the sidelines.
Burnley and Derby are also keen on Lucketti, who has not had a look-in for the Blades in the Premiership this season.
His only first team appearance came in the Carling Cup and he was an unused substitute for last night's 4-2 third round defeat by Birmingham at Bramall Lane.
- 1 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 2 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 3 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 4 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut
- 5 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 6 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 7 Festive shoppers brave the cold for Christmas street market in Ipswich
- 8 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 9 Care home worker may be jailed after using resident's bank card
- 10 Homes with 'stunning' coastal views by Felixstowe golf club up for sale
Magilton's move for Lucketti comes after Ipswich have managed just one clean sheet, thanks to a goalless home draw with Hull, in 14 games this season.
They have conceded 22 goals in their 13 league games - a worse goals-against tally than all but three of their Championship rivals.
It is no surprise that Derby are keen to sign Lucketti as Rams' boss Billy Davies was in charge of Preston when the pair were together there until last season.
He moved on loan to Sheffield in March and after helping them secure promotion to the top flight he completed a £300,000 permanent switch.
But he has become increasingly frustrated by his lack of activity and the Blades are willing to let him move on, initially on loan and with a view to a permanent deal being struck in January.
Assistant boss Stuart McCall said: “It is really up to Chris. He might benefit from going out on loan for a while.
“On the other hand he might prefer to stay and compete for his place, because we are not looking to shove people out of the door.
“But if it doesn't appear that players are going to be getting first team football here we would quite understand if they wanted to move on loan.”
Littleborough-born Lucketti started his career at Rochdale and was also with Stockport, Halifax, Bury and Huddersfield before Preston paid £750,000 for him in the summer of 2001.