Josh Webster selected for Team UK
JOSH Webster’s standing as one of the Great Britain’s finest young driving talents has been confirmed after the teenager landed a coveted place with the Motor Sport Association’s official team.
Webster will race for the team that represents the official governing body for motor sport in the UK at this season’s Certina Formula Renault 2.0 UK Championship - a series which launched the Formula One careers of Lewis Hamilton, Kimi Raikkonen and Heikki Kovalainen.
The 17-year-old from Mickfield, near Stowmarket, will receive support and guidance from the MSA’s coaches and will carry the Team UK logo on his clothing and vehicles.
“I am absolutely delighted. As soon as I got into car racing I became aware of the level of progress I had to make to reach the Team UK setup,” said Webster, who was named the 2011 RSF MSA Young Driver of the Year award this week.
“I am in the Team UK AASE (Advanced Apprenticeship in Sporting Excellence) academy at Loughborough College and that has helped me to build up to this level. It is fantastic news and I am looking forward to the challenge.”
You may also want to watch:
For more on the story, read Saturday’s Ipswich Evening Star
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 4 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 5 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 8 15-year-old boy to face trial over alleged Ipswich stabbing
- 9 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 10 Specialist engineers working to fix Ipswich flooding hotspot