Junior finals at Hintlesham
GOLF: Teams from Woodbridge and Fynn Valley won the Textron-sponsored Suffolk Junior Scratch and Handicap competitions at Hintlesham Hall. In the handicap competition, Fynn Valley overcame the juniors from The Suffolk, 4-2.
TEAMS from Woodbridge and Fynn Valley won the Textron-sponsored Suffolk Junior Scratch and Handicap competitions at Hintlesham Hall.
In the handicap competition, Fynn Valley overcame the juniors from The Suffolk, 4-2. Aaron McFarlane, the Fynn Valley captain, received the Textron Trophy from Ian Mitchell, Textron's regional sales manager, at the presentation ceremony.
This year's Scratch competition took on a different format with three teams contesting the final rounds. Woodbridge ran out the winners, beating Stoke-by-Nayland into second place, with Bury St Edmunds finishing third.
The format was foursomes in the morning and singles in the afternoon with Woodbridge collecting 14 points, Stoke-by-Nayland nine and Bury two.
You may also want to watch:
Textron's Ian Mitchell said: "This is the third year that we have been sponsoring these competitions and once again hundreds of youngsters from across the county have taken part. Suffolk junior golf committee's decision to introduce the handicap competition was an excellent initiative as it affords young golfers with a handicap of 10 or more the opportunity to compete in a countywide competition.
"This decision has been wholly justified as Woodbridge, who were handicap champions last year, have now gone on to win the prestigious scratch trophy this year."
- 1 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 2 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
- 5 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 6 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 9 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 10 Ipswich woman's drug dealing confiscation hearing adjourned
Woodbridge will now be taking part in the regional finals to be held at Burhill in Surrey on October 3.
At the prize giving ceremony, David Houston, chairman of Suffolk Junior Golf thanked Textron for their generous sponsorship, Hintlesham Hall for providing a magnificent venue and facilities and congratulated all the finalists on a superb day's competition that produced two excellent finals.
WINNERS: The Woodbridge team that won the Suffolk Junior Scratch final at Hintlesham Hall. Back row (l to r): James McNally, Oliver King, Paul Dobson, Harry Ferguson, Joe Fairbrother and Ian Mitchell, regional sales manager of Textron. Not in picture: Seb Bulpin. Picture CONTRIBUTED
SUCCESS: The Fynn Valley team that lifted the Suffolk Handicap Trophy at Hintlesham Hall. Facing the camera (l to r): Warren Goodard, Chris Smith, Joe Thompson, Aaron McFarlane (captain), Jamie Abbot, Ross Cracknell and Ian Mitchell, the regional sales manager of Textron. Picture: CONTRIBUTED