Ladies shine against Sutton
HOCKEY: Sutton Coldfield 1 Ipswich Ladies 3. Ipswich Ladies finished the league season on a high note with their third successive victory which has condemned Sutton Coldfield to the play-offs in a bid to keep their Premier Division place.
Sutton Coldfield 1 Ipswich Ladies 3
IPSWICH Ladies finished the league season on a high note with their third successive victory which has condemned Sutton Coldfield to the play-offs in a bid to keep their Premier Division place.
The visitors began the game slowly and it was Sutton who had the better start. Ipswich found it difficult to link the passes together and an injury to Emma Wooding forced coach Sandie Lister to make changes which disrupted the normal flowing game of the Suffolk side.
Goalkeeper Hannah Robinson had little to do though as Sutton were less then creative in the circle and five minutes before half-time Sarah Bamfield broke the deadlock when she slammed the ball into the far corner from an acute angle.
You may also want to watch:
The Sutton goalkeeper was not expecting the shot and had positioned herself to cover the pass, but the alert Bamfield saw the gap and put Ipswich ahead.
Stern words from Lister seemed to spark some life into the team and it inspired some quick movement off the ball and slick passing between the forwards to create the opportunity for Bamfield to get her second.
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 4 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 5 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 8 15-year-old boy to face trial over alleged Ipswich stabbing
- 9 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 10 Specialist engineers working to fix Ipswich flooding hotspot
By now Sutton looked a beaten side and when Jo Ellis flicked the ball over the diving keeper after a short corner shot from Kirsten Spencer was saved, the writing was on the wall for the midlanders.
Sutton salvaged some pride through Helen Morris, but they now face Wimbledon in the relegation play-offs while Ipswich can look forward to playing Leicester in the Premiership play-offs.