Leaders win at Needham
SOCCER: Needham Market 1 Histon Town Reserves 2. Histon came into this fixture as league leaders and they showed their battling qualities to take another three points in their quest for the title.
Needham Market 1 Histon Town Reserves 2
Histon came into this fixture as league leaders and they showed their battling qualities to take another three points in their quest for the title.
Needham also showed up well in a match that was a good advert for the League and they probably deserved a point from this game.
Histon held a slender one-goal lead at the break after Murray got his head to Lee's cross to head wide of Matt Fenn.
You may also want to watch:
Adam Rickwood was unlucky for Needham after he dispossessed White on the edge of the area but Taylor cleared the danger as the ball ran goalwards.
Histon also had other chances and Fenn made some good saves, the best being when he tipped over Audley's effort just on half-time.
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 3 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 4 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 5 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 6 Cardinal Practice 'access issues' to be discussed at key NHS meeting
- 7 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 8 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 9 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 10 Two people rescued after search off Harwich coast
After the interval, Neil Cole mis-hit a good chance before Rickwood got his 10th goal of the season with a snap-shot to draw Needham level after Dean Folkard had headed on Cole's corner.
The winner for Histon came after they had missed a penalty, given for a foul by Scot Bennett on midfielder King.
It was taken by the skipper Leete but was turned away for a corner by Fenn. From that corner Leete made up for his miss by getting the final touch to give his team the lead again.
In the final minutes both sides tested each other's defensive qualities but Needham could not get the equaliser they deserved.