Leiston cap super season
JEWSON SOCCER: Leiston 3 Histon Reserves 2. Leiston capped a fine debut in the Jewson League with a thrilling 3-2 victory over Histon Reserves to win the First Division knock-out trophy on Monday.
Jewson First Division knock-out trophy
Leiston 3 Histon Reserves 2
LEISTON capped a fine debut in the Jewson League with a thrilling 3-2 victory over Histon Reserves to win the First Division knock-out trophy yesterday.
The north Suffolk side took the lead in the fourth minute when Taylor's cross was headed on by Carl Chenery and Jennings pounced to head past Huyler.
Histon conjured up an equaliser in the 15th minute when a cross found its way to the unmarked Audley who comfortably beat Norris.
The game then swung Leiston's way with six minutes remaining. Carl Chenery was fouled by Potter on the edge of the box and Newson, who had only been on the field for five minutes, fired in a blistering free-kick that found the net via Huyler's left post.
- 1 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 2 Popular family-run butchers announces closure
- 3 Tributes paid to Ipswich man who could 'make magic happen'
- 4 Two teenagers charged after man injured in machete attack
- 5 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 6 85 school children under 4 suspended in Suffolk
- 7 Search for missing man who planned 70-mile walk home still ongoing
- 8 New details of plans to convert Ipswich church into music venue revealed
- 9 'Really concerning' – Shock after machete attack at Ipswich sports centre
- 10 Investigations ongoing into 'inter-gang disputes' in town
Three minutes later Fryer set up Day whose first-time cross was cleverly headed past Huyler by Judd Chenery for his 28th goal of the season.
Murray netted an 89th-minute free-kick following a foul, but Leiston held out in the six minutes of added time to collect the trophy.