Local basketball youngsters nominated for special coaching courses
Four young coaches from Ipswich Basketball Club have been invited to attend a special coaches’ conference in Loughborough.
Nominated by one of Ipswich School’s games organisers, Ali Furlong, the quartet of of Amy Linton, Karlynn Edgeller, David Metcalf and Ben Mead will take part in team-building exercises and workshops to support their development as coaches.
Departing basketball development officer Kathryn James said: “We have many young role models here in Suffolk who are doing some good work in their schools and communities.
“Across the board these four have helped in these local environments. When I actually think about the extent to which they have assisted other teams considering their own playing schedules, not to mention their school work, it’s pretty impressive.
“Three have coached their district team at the Suffolk Youth Games. Ben and Karlynn went along to Ipswich Under-14 girls practice before Christmas to help this team with Ben also mentoring local Under-13 East player Grace Sinnott.
“The four youngsters have all assisted with age-group teams in the county both at selection events and training, while Amy has also attended Lilleshall for the past two years as an additional assistant with the under-13 girls team. David and Amy both attended an East coaching conference run recently by Warwick Cann and hosted by Michael Ball.
“They will gain the added confidence needed in time but are already developing their own philosophies and coaching style. We hope they have a great time and know they will do us proud and set a high benchmark at Loughborough.”
- 1 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 2 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 3 Family's gratitude after Christmas samaritan's £50 act of kindness
- 4 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 5 Police 'concerned' for missing 15-year-old who was last seen a week ago
- 6 Speed limit on Orwell Bridge reduced as Storm Barra hits region
- 7 Matchday Recap: McGreal's Town beaten at The Valley
- 8 Beautiful new bottomless brunches launch at Ipswich bar
- 9 When will my bins be collected this Christmas?
- 10 Former camera shop Jessops cited for three flats in Ipswich
The conference is being hosted by the Youth Sport Trust, the charity that supports participation, excellence and leadership for young people through PE and sport.