Maldon earn win over Woodbridge
SOCCER: Maldon 2 Woodbridge 0. A goal in each half from Scott Witney gave Maldon all three points. The home side had a number of early opportunities from set-pieces, which they failed to convert, while Woodbridge's best effort was a free-kick from Parker which finished off target.
Maldon 2 Woodbridge 0
A GOAL in each half from Scott Witney gave Maldon all three points.
The home side had a number of early opportunities from set-pieces, which they failed to convert, while Woodbridge's best effort was a free-kick from Parker which finished off target.
Maldon's Judd Coe shot wide after a surging run as the visitors packed players behind the ball. But the breakthrough came after 42 minutes. Right-back Perry Prudence, on his home debut, deceived the defence and his cross was met in the six-yard box by Witney, who made no mistake.
Woodbridge missed a good opportunity to equalise at the start of the second half when Dale Vince was allowed to turn inside the box but his shot rolled just wide.
Maldon's main threat came from the pace and crossing ability of Craig Huttley.
- 1 Hank's Deli closes its doors but remembers food bank
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 4 Appeal to find 33-year-old missing man
- 5 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 6 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 7 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 8 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist knocked unconscious in crash
- 9 Drug addict stole £7,000 from safe at auction house
- 10 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
A swift interchange of passes between him and Witney allowed Prudence to hit a fierce shot that was well held by Garnham in the Woodbridge goal.
Maldon were now well on top and came close to the second goal on 74 minutes but Witney's goalbound effort was saved at point-blank range by Garnham.
The home side wrapped up the points in the 81st minute.
A defensive slip by Bailey let in Paul Delaney, and although Garnham did well to smother the first shot, Witney was on hand to slam home the rebound.