Mark (16) double champ at Seckford
GOLF: Seckford could have a star in the making after the success of 16-year-old Mark Etheridge had completed a double by winning both the men's and juniors championships.
SECKFORD could have a star in the making after the success of 16-year-old Mark Etheridge had completed a double by winning both the men's and juniors championships.
Mark, who plays off an 18 handicap, defied the extremely difficult weather conditions to take both titles on successive days.
In the Burton Cup, the junior championship, he had nett rounds of 76, 67 and the following day lifted the Wakefield Trophy, the senior championship, with a gross 154 over two rounds to win by one shot from Ashley Thorpe.
Nic Grundtvig, Seckford's general manager, said: "Mark has set a fine example by winning both championships. We hope that the other juniors will see what he has done and try and emulate him.
"It is a great achievement. Since he joined the club we have tried to encourage him like we do for all our juniors."
The Hollis Shield, the ladies championship, was won by Mary Pendle with a gross one-round score of 95 playing off her 18 handicap. Runner-up was Vivienne Berry with 105 playing off 28.
- 1 Police cordon in place outside former Grimwades store in Ipswich
- 2 Two knives found in Ipswich park after six teenagers arrested
- 3 10-acre field fire breaks out in south Suffolk village
- 4 One of the world's largest container ships arrives at Port of Felixstowe
- 5 Investigation ongoing after huge blaze rips through land near Ipswich
- 6 Teenager sexually assaulted and then robbed in Ipswich
- 7 Couple get engaged after abseiling down Ipswich Hospital block
- 8 'I'm so proud' - Jimmy's Farm scoops three prestigious awards
- 9 Mobile phone and laptop stolen in spate of thefts from cars near Ipswich
- 10 Summertime Ipswich to bring the party to the Waterfront next weekend
Tom Edwards took the Kinsey Trophy for seniors with a nett score of 70 off his 20 handicap.
Wakefield Trophy (cumulative overall gross score for 36 holes): Mark Etheridge 154, Ashley Thorpe 155, Robert Squirrell 158, Chris Marjoram 165, James Peasey 165, David Taylor 166, Chris Pratt 170, Andrew Wall 171, Chris Westaway 172, Adrian Gipson 175.
Burton Cup (junior championship, nett scores): Mark Etheridge 76, 67; James Peasey 77, 69, Ashley Thorpe 84, 72; Michael Butcher 100, 71; Simon Cannon 102, 75.
Hollis Shield (gross score, 18 holes for ladies): Mary Pendle 95, Vivienne Berry 105, Geraldine Moreton 123, Julie Cook 123, Susan Meecham 123, Val Moon 125, Christine Gardens 132, Pamela White 149.
Kinsey Trophy (seniors, overall nett scores): Tom Edwards 70, Arthur Pendle 71, Brian Finch 72, Francisco Aguilar 73, Trevor Barber 75, Gordon Paton 75, Barry Coxall 77, Michael Plumb 78, Geoffrey Wass 80, Edward Alcock 83.
SUCCESS: Winners at the Seckford club championships. Left to right: Robert Squirrell (best scratch score), Mark Etheridge (seniors and juniors championships winner), Paul Taylor (vice-captain of the club who presented the prizes) and Mary Pendle (ladies winner). Picture: CONTRIBUTED
SENIORS WINNER: Tom Edwards (right), who won the Seckford seniors title, being presented with the Kinsey Trophy by Barry Kinsey, the club secretary. Picture: CONTRIBUTED