Mark (16) double champ at Seckford
GOLF: Seckford could have a star in the making after the success of 16-year-old Mark Etheridge had completed a double by winning both the men's and juniors championships.
SECKFORD could have a star in the making after the success of 16-year-old Mark Etheridge had completed a double by winning both the men's and juniors championships.
Mark, who plays off an 18 handicap, defied the extremely difficult weather conditions to take both titles on successive days.
In the Burton Cup, the junior championship, he had nett rounds of 76, 67 and the following day lifted the Wakefield Trophy, the senior championship, with a gross 154 over two rounds to win by one shot from Ashley Thorpe.
Nic Grundtvig, Seckford's general manager, said: "Mark has set a fine example by winning both championships. We hope that the other juniors will see what he has done and try and emulate him.
You may also want to watch:
"It is a great achievement. Since he joined the club we have tried to encourage him like we do for all our juniors."
The Hollis Shield, the ladies championship, was won by Mary Pendle with a gross one-round score of 95 playing off her 18 handicap. Runner-up was Vivienne Berry with 105 playing off 28.
- 1 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 4 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 5 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 6 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 7 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 8 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 9 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 10 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
Tom Edwards took the Kinsey Trophy for seniors with a nett score of 70 off his 20 handicap.
Wakefield Trophy (cumulative overall gross score for 36 holes): Mark Etheridge 154, Ashley Thorpe 155, Robert Squirrell 158, Chris Marjoram 165, James Peasey 165, David Taylor 166, Chris Pratt 170, Andrew Wall 171, Chris Westaway 172, Adrian Gipson 175.
Burton Cup (junior championship, nett scores): Mark Etheridge 76, 67; James Peasey 77, 69, Ashley Thorpe 84, 72; Michael Butcher 100, 71; Simon Cannon 102, 75.
Hollis Shield (gross score, 18 holes for ladies): Mary Pendle 95, Vivienne Berry 105, Geraldine Moreton 123, Julie Cook 123, Susan Meecham 123, Val Moon 125, Christine Gardens 132, Pamela White 149.
Kinsey Trophy (seniors, overall nett scores): Tom Edwards 70, Arthur Pendle 71, Brian Finch 72, Francisco Aguilar 73, Trevor Barber 75, Gordon Paton 75, Barry Coxall 77, Michael Plumb 78, Geoffrey Wass 80, Edward Alcock 83.
SUCCESS: Winners at the Seckford club championships. Left to right: Robert Squirrell (best scratch score), Mark Etheridge (seniors and juniors championships winner), Paul Taylor (vice-captain of the club who presented the prizes) and Mary Pendle (ladies winner). Picture: CONTRIBUTED
SENIORS WINNER: Tom Edwards (right), who won the Seckford seniors title, being presented with the Kinsey Trophy by Barry Kinsey, the club secretary. Picture: CONTRIBUTED