Mixed fortunes for over 50s in Maldon
CRICKET: There were mixed fortunes for the Marshall Hatchick Two Counties Over-50s sides who played two Maldon teams during their cricket week.The Two Counties side at Drapers were indebted to a partnership between Neal Manning and Martin Blackwell and a breezy innings from Graham Penny which rescued them after a disastrous start, but a century from Steve Gozzett helped Maldon to an eight-wicket win and the John Ellis memorial trophy.
THERE were mixed fortunes for the Marshall Hatchick Two Counties Over-50s sides who played two Maldon teams during their cricket week.
The Two Counties side at Drapers were indebted to a partnership between Neal Manning and Martin Blackwell and a breezy innings from Graham Penny which rescued them after a disastrous start, but a century from Steve Gozzett helped Maldon to an eight-wicket win and the John Ellis memorial trophy.
At Maldon's other ground at the Prom, Martin Southwell and Don Curtis gave the Two Counties an excellent start before tight bowling from Stuart Carpenter, Martin White and Chris Simmons restricted the hosts to just 64 off 32 overs.
However, change bowlers gave Maldon more of a chance to chase the total, but they were always well outside the required rate and had to settle for a draw.
Two Counties (at Drapers) 231 for 7 dec (Penny 95, Blackwell 42, Manning 37, Davis 2 for 6, Richardson 2 for 45). Maldon Seniors 232 for 2 (S Gozzett 103 n.o., Digweed 64 n.o., Tomkins 2 for 61). Maldon Seniors won by 8 wkts.
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 3 Ipswich man charged with string of motoring offences
- 4 Pensioner who was racially abusive has jail sentence cut
- 5 Could American fast food chain Wendy's open a Suffolk restaurant next year?
- 6 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 7 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 8 Online shoppers head to Ipswich for big brands like Primark
- 9 New store opens in California fulfilling owner's dream
- 10 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
Two Counties (at the Prom) 231 for 7 dec (Southwell 84, Curtis 57, Church 3 for 12, Adams 2 for 41). Maldon XI 184 for 6 (Raymond 59, Cook 53 n.o., Carpenter 2 for 10). Match drawn.
Today, the Two Counties side take on Long Melford in part of their cricket week (2pm start). The team is: John Hill (Maldon, capt), Colin Philpott, Ray Digweed (both Maldon), Barry Ball (Abberton), Brian Turley (Brightlingsea), Phil Jones (Haverhill), Don Curtis (Copford), Rob Stephens, Martin Southwell (Braintree), Chris Simmons, John Stuck (Clacton).
Tomorrow the Two Counties visit Eight Ash Green to play their senior side and the team is: John Stuck (Clacton, capt), Chris Simmons (Clacton), Brian Turley (Brightlingsea), John Pettifer, Graham Penny (Long Melford), John Hill (Maldon), Paul Dale (East Bergholt), Martin Southwell (Braintree), Benny Hill (St Margaret's), Phil Cox (Long Melford), Peter Mitchell (Brightlingsea).