Nine-a-side joy for developing side
A TEAM of promising young hockey players, aided by a couple of old hands, has won the Ipswich Sports Club nine-a-side men's league.
A TEAM of promising young hockey players, aided by a
couple of old hands, has won the Ipswich Sports Club nine-a-side men's league.
With games lasting 25 minutes each way, the tournament has been played at Henley Road over the last couple of months and was finally won by the Development team when they beat the Experienced team 8-7 in the final game.
Andy Swindin, coach of the Development squad, said: "It was a bit nerve-racking to say the least as our boys were a little naïve in the first half and went in 4-3 down.
"That's where Nick Fry and I had to come in and play a part and fortunately it worked out well for us in the second half."
Both Swindin and Fry have lengthy first-team service under their belts with Ipswich, although Fry is now playing for the second team.
- 1 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 2 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 3 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 4 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 5 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist knocked unconscious in crash
- 6 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 7 Man, 25, threatened to kill ex-partner with wrench, court hears
- 8 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 9 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 10 Man dragged former partner from car and kicked her in assault
Swindin said: "The tournament worked out well and the players seemed to enjoy it. I would also like to thank all the umpires who helped out and gave up their time, as without them we couldn't have staged the competition.
FINAL NINE-A-SIDE TABLE
P W D L F A Pts
Ip Development 4 3 1 0 16 11 10
Felixstowe 4 2 1 1 14 8 7
Ip Experienced 4 2 0 2 16 14 6
Sago's Stars 4 2 0 2 9 12 6
Squash Section 4 0 0 4 7 17 0