Osman may return
FORMER Ipswich and England defender Russell Osman could be back in football within the next few days.Osman, 46, has emerged as a leading contender to replace ex-Town skipper Ian Atkins, who was sacked by Bristol Rovers last month.
By Mel Henderson
FORMER Ipswich and England defender Russell Osman could be back in football within the next few days.
Osman, 46, has emerged as a leading contender to replace ex-Town skipper Ian Atkins, who was sacked by Bristol Rovers last month.
A schoolboy rugby international, Osman was a member of the Ipswich side that won the FA Youth Cup in 1975. He went on to make 385 first team appearances and was a member of the 1981 UEFA Cup-winning side.
You may also want to watch:
He was sacked as Bristol City boss in November 1994, after almost two years in charge, and later managed Cardiff City, leaving in January 1998 after just 14 months at the helm.
Osman, who also played for Leicester, Southampton, Bristol City, Plymouth, Brighton and Cardiff, had a one-month stint in charge of Rovers alongside Kevan Broadhurst early last year, while Atkins secured his release from previous club Oxford United.
- 1 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 2 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 3 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 4 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 5 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 6 60-acre logistic park off A14 approved
- 7 Watchdog upholds mother's complaint about handling of son's special education needs
- 8 Man admits exposing himself to women in park near Felixstowe
- 9 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 10 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
More recently involved in media work, he still lives in the west country and would welcome the chance of a fresh start in management.