Osman may return
FORMER Ipswich and England defender Russell Osman could be back in football within the next few days.Osman, 46, has emerged as a leading contender to replace ex-Town skipper Ian Atkins, who was sacked by Bristol Rovers last month.
By Mel Henderson
FORMER Ipswich and England defender Russell Osman could be back in football within the next few days.
Osman, 46, has emerged as a leading contender to replace ex-Town skipper Ian Atkins, who was sacked by Bristol Rovers last month.
A schoolboy rugby international, Osman was a member of the Ipswich side that won the FA Youth Cup in 1975. He went on to make 385 first team appearances and was a member of the 1981 UEFA Cup-winning side.
He was sacked as Bristol City boss in November 1994, after almost two years in charge, and later managed Cardiff City, leaving in January 1998 after just 14 months at the helm.
Osman, who also played for Leicester, Southampton, Bristol City, Plymouth, Brighton and Cardiff, had a one-month stint in charge of Rovers alongside Kevan Broadhurst early last year, while Atkins secured his release from previous club Oxford United.
- 1 Six arrested following two incidents involving knives in Ipswich
- 2 Drug dealers jailed after police seize cocaine from van and home
- 3 Two men spit at victim and demand money near Ipswich Waterfront
- 4 When and where will the thunderstorms hit Suffolk?
- 5 Missing 17-year-old girl found safe and well
- 6 Application submitted for new store in Ipswich
- 7 Go-ahead for business park project that could create 350 jobs in Ipswich
- 8 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 9 Overnight closures announced for Orwell Bridge works
- 10 Racing bike worth more than £1,000 stolen outside Sainsbury's in Ipswich
More recently involved in media work, he still lives in the west country and would welcome the chance of a fresh start in management.