Racing begins at Southwold
Sailing:Southwold Sailing Club held the first two races in their summer series on Sunday.Conditions were lively with a gusty Force 3-5 Southerly breeze against the flood tide.
Southwold Sailing Club held the first two races in their summer series on Sunday.
Conditions were lively with a gusty Force 3-5 Southerly breeze against the flood tide. Inshore the sea state was fairly flat but at the wing mark it was lumpy resulting in a number of capsizes, particularly in the asymmetric classes.
Richard Seppings and Dirk Bougard in their Laser 4000 won race 1 from Mike Gower in his Contender and Hugh Fielden and Richard Symes in their 505. Gower may well have won if it were not for trapeze harness problems resulting in him swimming on a couple of occasions, as he was sailing extremely fast in his favourite conditions.
You may also want to watch:
The wing mark saw plenty of action as crews flew into the gybe at high speed in the rough water and many found themselves doing some swimming.
In Race 2 Seppings and Bougard once again showed superior boat handling to take first place this time from the 505's of Hugh Fielden and Richard Symes in 2nd and Greg Brown and Ian Whitehead in 3rd.
- 1 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 2 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 3 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 4 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 5 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 6 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 7 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 8 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 9 Trucker ran eBay scam selling straps used for securing heavy loads
- 10 Four men released following death of man at Felixstowe lorry park
The wing mark was once again the place to be to watch the synchronised swimming event.
Race 1: 1st Richard Seppings and Dirk Bougard Laser 4000, 2nd Mike Gower Contender, 3rd Hugh Fielden and Richard Symes 505.
Race 2: 1st Richard Seppings and Dirk Bougard Laser 4000, 2nd Hugh Fielden and Richard Symes 505, 3rd Greg Brown and Ian Whitehead 505,
This weekend the East Coast Asymmetric Series comes to Southwold with racing on Saturday and Sunday.
If conditions are similar to last weekend this could provide some excellent entertainment for spectators. Normal club racing begins again on Sunday June 30 with the Sizewell Buoy Race for both dinghies and cruisers.
Bookings are also being taken for the summer party on Saturday July 13.
For more details of these events or other club activities call (01986) 798855 or check out the club website www.southwoldsailingclub.co.uk