Robin's still the Mann on top
GOLF: There'e no stopping Robin Mann at the moment.After shooting a 65 in the first meeting of the Suffolk Winter Alliance season at Hintlesham earlier this month, the Ufford Park-based Mann continued his good form at Stowmarket.
THERE'S no stopping Robin Mann at the moment.
After shooting a 65 in the first meeting of the Suffolk Winter Alliance season at Hintlesham earlier this month, the Ufford Park-based Mann continued his good form at Stowmarket.
The first Sunday meeting was a Pro-Am Am/Am meeting, and apart from some rain late in the day, conditions could not have been more ideal for the 156 players.
You may also want to watch:
There were 39 teams of four players – an excellent entry – including 15 professionals, the highest number to take part in an Alliance meeting for five years.
Mann took the honours with a five-stroke victory over runner-up Alex Lucas (Fynn Valley).
- 1 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 2 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 3 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 4 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 5 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 6 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 7 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 8 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 9 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 10 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
In fact, at the halfway stage, the money would have been on Lucas to claim the professionals' prize. He reached the turn in 29 – five under par – but the wheels came off on the inward half when he had three bogeys and a double bogey and had to settle for a 68.
In contrast, Mann only picked up one birdie on the outward half, but had five more coming back, and with no dropped shots, had an impressive six under par 63.
In joint third place were Tony Dobson (Bourne Hill Driving Range) and Haverhill's Nic Duc with 69s.
Scoring was close in the team competition with the winners being decided on countback. A team from Diss pipped a Stoke-by-Nayland quartet for first prize.
The next meeting is at Newton Green on Sunday which will be the normal four-ball format.
The winners will receive the Golden Jubilee trophies to commemorate the Royal year.
Professionals: 63-Robin Mann (Ufford Park). 68-Alex Lucas (Fynn Valley). 69-Nic Duc (Haverhill) and Tony Dobson (Bourne Hill DR).
Team: 122- A Mitson, P Wright, K Halil, P Griffith (Diss) on countback from B Letham, P Jiggins, B Thompson, S Dainty (Stoke-by-Nayland). 123- P Presland, T Holley, J Markham, P Davey (Stowmarket). 124-T Jochan, R Slowley, R Mann, S Chapman (mixed clubs). 126- P Boon, C Elliott, M Allen, J Bennett (mixed clubs) on countback from D Burl, D Walker, K Jamieson, J Roper (Stowmarket). 127- D Grieves, K Keeble, P Boswell, R Claydon (Waldringfield).