Rookery Park take trophy at Rushmere
GOLF: Rookery Park beat Felixstowe by three matches to two in the final of the Weston Trophy, played at Rushmere. The standard of golf was high, notably from Hannah Rees who was out first for Rookery Park against Sharon Luckman.
ROOKERY Park beat Felixstowe by three matches to two in the final of the Weston Trophy, played at Rushmere.
The standard of golf was high, notably from Hannah Rees who was out first for Rookery Park against Sharon Luckman.
Rees was five up at the turn, three under for the nine holes played after four birdies to the good.
Luckman was never about to capitulate. But although she took back the two short holes at 13 and 14 and connected with the ball as well as ever, she couldn't get the putter working and ran out of holes on the 16th.
Luckman's drive at 15 looked prodigious, stopping as it did just short of the green, but Lil James, playing at number two for Rookery Park, hit the jackpot.
- 1 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 2 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 3 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 4 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 5 Wallet and cash stolen as two more cars have windows smashed in in Ipswich
- 6 Police warning after Suffolk driver speeds at 126mph
- 7 Dog rescued from flat fire
- 8 Delays on Orwell Bridge after fire crews called to 'smoke coming from vehicle'
- 9 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 10 Major road into Ipswich partially blocked after three-vehicle crash
Her tee shot ran sweetly on to the putting surface and, from pin high and about a dozen feet away, she slotted the putt for an eagle.
Her closely-fought match with Charlie Langlands, who joined Felixstowe's team this year, went to the last putt on the final green, where James secured the point for her side.
The third match followed a similar pattern. Yvonne Hollis (Felixstowe) hit a bunker just short of the 18th.
Needing to get up and down to take further part, her bunker shot rolled out instead of biting and the putt went wide, giving Judy Ames the point and Rookery Park the cup.
Zoe Proctor put Felixstowe's first point on the board, playing Mary Wilderspin at number four, but, with the destination of the trophy already decided, the players in the final game settled for an amicable half.
The trophy was presented to the County Association in the early 1980s by Mrs Toddles Weston, to mark her presidency.
She was able to hand it to the winning captain last year but suffered a severe stroke a few weeks later and died quite recently. A presentation speech by Mrs Weston was always eagerly awaited, for she had a grace and wit to be envied by anyone aspiring to be a public speaker, and she dearly loved golf and the people who play it.
She will be missed by those who knew her.
(Rookery Park names first): Hannah Rees beat Sharon Luckman 3 & 2; Lil James beat Charlie Langlands 1 up; Judy Ames beat Yvonne Hollis 1 up; Mary Wilderspin lost to Zoe Proctor 3 & 1; Sue Jackson halved with Katy Snelgrove.