Royal's rink inspires Ipswich
IN the Egham (Mixed Fours) Trophy, Ipswich and District IBC – having disposed of Felixstowe and Mid Suffolk in previous rounds – faced Turpins (Saffron Walden) IBC in a second round tie.
IN the Egham (Mixed Fours) Trophy, Ipswich and District IBC – having disposed of Felixstowe and Mid Suffolk in previous rounds – faced Turpins
(Saffron Walden) IBC in a second round tie.
The clubs had not met before, Turpins being one of the newest clubs in the Eastern Area.
However, they proved to be tough opponents and led from the start until 18 ends, when they held a seven-shot advantage.
But the Ipswich team then responded with 25 shots to five over the last three ends to finish 85-72 winners.
At Turpins, both visiting rinks fought back from being 15 shots adrift at 15 ends to go down by just six shots.
- 1 'Tit for tat' attacks driven by gang members vying for position, police say
- 2 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 3 Road near Ipswich flooded as drivers forced to find alternative routes
- 4 Thunderstorms warning upgraded in Suffolk ahead of rain
- 5 Ipswich man and Cadillac films with The Only Way Is Essex
- 6 Four people charged as police find machete after brawl in Ipswich street
- 7 Ipswich man who abandoned Land Rover on train tracks convicted
- 8 VW Golf stolen from Ipswich road after thieves take car keys from home
- 9 Application submitted for new store in Ipswich
- 10 Window smashed at Ipswich home in spate of attempted burglaries
At Ipswich, Mark Royals' rink provided the backbone of the eventual success with a 33-9 demolition of the visitors.
Thus, a match which at one stage looked to be a lost cause for Ipswich was turned round in the final stages.
At Ipswich (48 shots – 29): L Fordham 15, J Chapman 20, M Royal 33, T Shoebridge 9.
At Turpins (37 shots – 43): T Flegg 15, A Jones 18, P Last 22, A Foster 25.
Scores at 5 ends 19-20, 10 ends 33-37, 15 ends 48-8, 18 ends 60-67.
Ipswich will now meet Colchester in the third round on Sunday, January 13.