Royal's rink inspires Ipswich
IN the Egham (Mixed Fours) Trophy, Ipswich and District IBC – having disposed of Felixstowe and Mid Suffolk in previous rounds – faced Turpins (Saffron Walden) IBC in a second round tie.
IN the Egham (Mixed Fours) Trophy, Ipswich and District IBC – having disposed of Felixstowe and Mid Suffolk in previous rounds – faced Turpins
(Saffron Walden) IBC in a second round tie.
The clubs had not met before, Turpins being one of the newest clubs in the Eastern Area.
However, they proved to be tough opponents and led from the start until 18 ends, when they held a seven-shot advantage.
You may also want to watch:
But the Ipswich team then responded with 25 shots to five over the last three ends to finish 85-72 winners.
At Turpins, both visiting rinks fought back from being 15 shots adrift at 15 ends to go down by just six shots.
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 4 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 5 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 8 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 9 15-year-old boy to face trial over alleged Ipswich stabbing
- 10 Specialist engineers working to fix Ipswich flooding hotspot
At Ipswich, Mark Royals' rink provided the backbone of the eventual success with a 33-9 demolition of the visitors.
Thus, a match which at one stage looked to be a lost cause for Ipswich was turned round in the final stages.
At Ipswich (48 shots – 29): L Fordham 15, J Chapman 20, M Royal 33, T Shoebridge 9.
At Turpins (37 shots – 43): T Flegg 15, A Jones 18, P Last 22, A Foster 25.
Scores at 5 ends 19-20, 10 ends 33-37, 15 ends 48-8, 18 ends 60-67.
Ipswich will now meet Colchester in the third round on Sunday, January 13.