Kings of Anglia Issue 10 Magazine Offer

Woodbridge Warriors reach final of Suffolk Chadacre Cup after defeating Clacton

PUBLISHED: 14:18 27 February 2017 | UPDATED: 14:23 27 February 2017

Woodbridge's Jon Vine takes a lot of stopping.

Woodbridge's Jon Vine takes a lot of stopping.


Woodbridge Warriors booked their place in the final of the Suffolk Chadacre Cup, after a 37-12 victory over Clacton.

Man of the match, JP Hart kicks a penaltyMan of the match, JP Hart kicks a penalty

The Warriors will play Southwold in the final on March 18, at Woodbridge.

JP Hart gave Woodbridge an early lead, following a nimble up-and-under, but Clacton soon replied through full-back John Vine.

Hart then kept the play in the Clacton half with his boot, as the visitors began to accumulate penalties.

However, after a couple of stolen line-outs, they were back at halfway, and flanker Ben Buxey led his pack on a sortie, wing Alan Redpath also pressurising the home defence.

Jamie Smith and Josh Thomas attack for WoodbridgeJamie Smith and Josh Thomas attack for Woodbridge

Warriors ran the ball back, only for busy Clacton scrum half Elliot Shuttleworth to steal at the ruck and force more Woodbridge defence.

Jamie Smith added another three points for Woodbridge, who then had to withstand a couple of attacking scrums from the big Clacton front row on their 22, as well as threatening runs from James Garrod, Tom Nation and the ever-threatening Vine.

Woodbridge started to rack up the penalties, Clacton having a number of line-outs in the home side’s 22, but Hart’s clearance drew a sigh of relief as tempers were tested and both teams were reduced to 14 for 10 minutes.

Great pressure at the ruck then saw Warriors’ Dan Bond steal to Aldis Salavejs and set up Garnham to score, before Ward added more points on the half-time whistle.

George Barclay goes flying in the Woodbridge/Clacton game.George Barclay goes flying in the Woodbridge/Clacton game.

Clacton re-started by kicking for position, mauling towards the line until flanker Max Swift broke, drove and recycled to big prop Jerram who scored.

Woodbridge’s line speed, fluid inter-play and dogged tackling – Herb Parsley putting in a hard shift – continued to cause the visitors problems, while Hart’s kicking got better and better, creating attacking platforms from nowhere.

Woodbridge’s Smith took another three penalty points and despite some dangerous runs from the hard-working Vine, the Warriors got another attacking position from a penalty. That hit the bar, forcing a drop-out from which they took possession for substitute Luke Norman to score.

Hart finished the scoring to end a tetchy but action-packed semi-final.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists