Sargeant's win wows the crowd
SWIMMING: Sheffield's Ponds Forge pool played host to a sensational head-to-head inter-counties gala.A staggering 1,000 swimmers represented their 37 counties in two divisions.
By Debbie Watson
SHEFFIELD'S Ponds Forge pool played host to a sensational head-to-head inter-counties gala.
A staggering 1,000 swimmers represented their 37 counties in two divisions.
You may also want to watch:
Suffolk – swimming in Division Two – put up a great fight and claimed several wins and personal bests throughout the event at the weekend. Overall the team finished fifth out of 17 contenders in its league.
Ipswich swimmer John Sargeant was among one of the most celebrated performers from our region.
- 1 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 2 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
- 5 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 6 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 9 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 10 Ipswich woman's drug dealing confiscation hearing adjourned
In the 100m backstroke he wowed the crowd with an incredible win that took him under the 60 seconds mark for the first time.
Kellie Swain also gave Suffolk a golden win – this time in the 100m breaststroke.
The 12/13 year olds medley team showed impressive form, while the unstoppable Joe Rhodes sealed a personal best in the 100m freestyle event.
Verity Jason – whose sister Dawn swam in the Commonwealth Games for Wales this year – also gave the crowd something to shout about in her 100m butterfly race.
Deben's Mark Stevens (sixth in 100m butterfly) and Ipswich's Sophie Poole (tenth in 100m freestyle) – both 12 – also deserve congratulations for their efforts on behalf of Suffolk.
Other individual races for Suffolk swimmers:
Felicity Hawkins – 11th in 100m freestyle, Elodie O'Brian – tenth in 100m breaststroke, Sophie George – second in 100m backstroke, Stuart King – fourth in 100m backstroke, Kirsty Paine – eighth in 100m butterfly, Samuel Heard – sixth in 100m freestyle, Laura Westley – 13th in 100m breaststroke, Thomas Collins – ninth in 100m breaststroke, Sarah Goddard – 13th in 100m backstroke, Robert Nixon – 11th in 100m breaststroke, Carly Edwards – fifth in 100m butterfly, Matt Vinter – ninth in 100m butterfly, Emma Game – 13th in 100m freestyle, Kevin May – 13th in 100m freestyle
FINAL RESULTS FOR DIVISION TWO: Herts 470.5, Cheshire 466.5 Glouc 460, Scot East 452, Suffolk 428, Norfolk 408, Berks and Sbucks 398, Cambs 385.