Saunders, Last take honours
BOWLS: THE first week's final day at the Felixstowe Open Tournament started with the semi-finals of the Ladies' and Men's Singles.In the Ladies' Singles Mary Saunders of Bramford BC comfortably overcame Maureen Read 21-11, and in the other semi-final Margaret Coles beat Pam Linge 21-14.
BOWLS: THE first week's final day at the Felixstowe Open Tournament started with the semi-finals of the Ladies' and Men's Singles.
In the Ladies' Singles Mary Saunders of Bramford BC comfortably overcame Maureen Read 21-11, and in the other semi-final Margaret Coles beat Pam Linge 21-14.
In the Men's semi-finals Gerry Coles beat 1996 champion Graham Rowland and in the other game Phil Last overcame Dennis Crapnell. This meant an unusual occurrence with a husband and wife in each of the Singles' finals.
In the finals Mary Saunders stormed away against Margaret Coles 12-0 but Coles then scored 12 shots to nil in the next five ends. Saunders, however, scored 11 shots to one to be the 2001 Ladies' Champion.
The Men's Singles final was always one-sided as Philip Last ran out a comfortable winner 21-13 to be 2001 Men's Singles champion.
The Mixed Triples was almost a certainty for John Rednall's rink of Chris Rednall and Mark Addison. In the semi-finals they had a 14-9 win over Bob Doggert's rink and in the final, up to the 13th end the scores were level against the rink skipped by Dennis Crapnell, but a score of seven and two fours on the final four ends sealed it.
- 1 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 2 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 3 'Dire for hospitality in Ipswich' - grill owner hits out at hardship grants
- 4 10,000 listeners tune in to new Suffolk radio station
- 5 Serious fire breaks out at home in Woodbridge
- 6 Weather warning in place for Suffolk as temperatures plunge below freezing
- 7 Armed police arrest two 16-year-olds on suspicion of firearms offences
- 8 'It's very frustrating': Anger as £150 stolen from charity shop in Felixstowe
- 9 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
- 10 'Depraved' Felixstowe man jailed for child sex offences
The Ladies' Pairs final was a very one-sided affair with the rink of Joyce Love and Ann Baxter romping away to a 15-1 lead after nine ends against local ladies Maureen Read and Janet Essex.
A mini-revival was staged by Maureen and Janet to bring the score to 17-12, but scores of five and two won the final two ends making Joyce Love and Ann Baxter the Ladies' Pairs champions.
If there was a medal for endeavour on Saturday it must surely go to Mary Saunders, who played four games on one of the hottest days of the year. The tournament moves into the second week today with the Men's Pairs and Men's Triples.
Mens Singles Semi-Finals: G Rowland 12, G Coles 21, P Last 21, D Crapnell 12.
Final: G Coles 13, P Last 21.
Ladies' Singles Semi-Finals: M Read 11, M Saunders 21, M Coles 21, P Linge 14.
Final: M Saunders 23, M Coles 14.
Ladies' Pairs Final: M Read J Essex 12, J Love A Baxter 24.
Mixed Triples Semi-Finals: C Rednall, M Addison, J Rednall 14 B Burton, J Burton, R Doggert 9, D Smith A Baxter M Morton 8, W Last, M Saunders D Crapnell 23.
Final: W Last M Saunders D Crapnell 24, C Rednall M Addison J Rednall 15.