School gives women's game a boost
SOCCER: Women's football in the area has been given a massive boost with news that Copleston High School Sports College, Ipswich has been given the go-ahead to start a soccer school.
By Elvin King
WOMEN'S football in the area has been given a massive boost with news that Copleston High School Sports College, Ipswich has been given the go-ahead to start a soccer school.
This will start in September 2003 and be for girls aged 16 and above.
Director of PE and sport at the College, David Little, said: "The aim is to provide girls with football coaching, while continuing their education."
If it proves a success the school hopes to apply for academy status. Girls from Ipswich, east and north Suffolk and north Essex will be targeted and talented girl footballers from this area will no longer have to leave home to attend academies or schools.
- 1 'This is all I've got' - Woman fighting to keep home where mum died
- 2 'From one family business to another' - Cattermole's changes hands
- 3 Teen fractured taxi driver's skull in 'shocking display of violence'
- 4 Woman bit dog owner during dispute over not picking up mess
- 5 Felixstowe man to star on small screen with converted Mini Cooper
- 6 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 7 Teen taken to hospital with serious injuries after Ipswich crash
- 8 46-year-old man who died in Great Bealings crash named
- 9 Five forgotten Ipswich music venues and what they are now
- 10 New Sports Direct still expected by mid-2022 in Ipswich town centre
"This ambitious and exciting venture will raise the profile of girls' soccer, while keeping the best players with local sides," added Little.
"Girls will be able to follow a broad range of academic and vocational courses and also have the benefit of pastoral and careers support in the sixth form.
"Beside developing their soccer skills they will also attend fitness sessions, lifestyle management and also take coaching and leadership awards."
Girls interested in joining next September should telephone the Sports College on Ipswich 274178 for further details.
There is a meeting next Thursday (November 14) at 6pm in the community lounge and all interested parties are invited to attend.
ST Johns Youth urgently require a manager for their Under-14 team, who play in the Ipswich & Suffolk League.
The team play and train at Gainsborough Sports Centre, Ipswich.
Please contact the secretary on 01473 720821 for more details.