Southend v Colchester Utd - Quotes
COLCHESTER United boss praised his side's 'ice cool' nerve after they saw off a Southend fight back to reclaim the Essex derby bragging rights.Following an uninspiring first half, the U's took firm control of this Boxing Day clash with early second half goals from Phil Ifil and Anthony Wordsworth.
COLCHESTER United boss praised his side's 'ice cool' nerve after they saw off a Southend fight back to reclaim the Essex derby bragging rights.
Following an uninspiring first half, the U's took firm control of this Boxing Day clash with early second half goals from Phil Ifil and Anthony Wordsworth.
Southend then mounted a strong revival following Lee Barnard's 76th minute header, but Colchester defended stoutly to hold out for a second successive away win.
You may also want to watch:
"It was a hard fought win," said Boothroyd. "We knew it would be a difficult game and I emphasised that to the players before and during the game.
"I said to them that, despite what goes on, they had to remain ice cool. I didn't want them to get caught up in the occasion, I wanted them to just play their game and I thought we did that.
- 1 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 2 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 3 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 4 'An absolute honour' –Ipswich woman crowned Miss Universe Great Britain
- 5 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 6 Inside a busy GP surgery: From daily abuse to the face-to-face debate
- 7 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 8 Future of Swarovski in Buttermarket not crystal clear
- 9 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 10 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
"We knew they would come back at us, they did, but I thought we dealt with it. We won the headers and got the blocks in when it mattered.
"If I am being ultra critical I thought we could have done better with the goal, but you take what you can in these derby matches."
Colchester's players will now report again for training tomorrow before Monday's home game against Southampton.
- Full report and reaction in Monday's EADT.