Southend v Colchester Utd - Quotes
COLCHESTER United boss praised his side's 'ice cool' nerve after they saw off a Southend fight back to reclaim the Essex derby bragging rights.Following an uninspiring first half, the U's took firm control of this Boxing Day clash with early second half goals from Phil Ifil and Anthony Wordsworth.
COLCHESTER United boss praised his side's 'ice cool' nerve after they saw off a Southend fight back to reclaim the Essex derby bragging rights.
Following an uninspiring first half, the U's took firm control of this Boxing Day clash with early second half goals from Phil Ifil and Anthony Wordsworth.
Southend then mounted a strong revival following Lee Barnard's 76th minute header, but Colchester defended stoutly to hold out for a second successive away win.
"It was a hard fought win," said Boothroyd. "We knew it would be a difficult game and I emphasised that to the players before and during the game.
"I said to them that, despite what goes on, they had to remain ice cool. I didn't want them to get caught up in the occasion, I wanted them to just play their game and I thought we did that.
- 1 A14 near Ipswich remains partially closed after fire breaks out
- 2 Police cordon in place outside former Grimwades store in Ipswich
- 3 Man wanted in connection with Ipswich assault arrested
- 4 Fire breaks out in field near Westbourne Park in Ipswich
- 5 Mum-of-four organises uniform pop-up market
- 6 Car damaged after object thrown from bridge over A14 outside Ipswich
- 7 Ipswich machete attack was 'gang related', court hears
- 8 Ipswich coffee shop owner receives award from PM
- 9 Drought declared in Suffolk as temperatures set to soar this weekend
- 10 Ipswich Hospital parking costs rise for first time in 10 years
"We knew they would come back at us, they did, but I thought we dealt with it. We won the headers and got the blocks in when it mattered.
"If I am being ultra critical I thought we could have done better with the goal, but you take what you can in these derby matches."
Colchester's players will now report again for training tomorrow before Monday's home game against Southampton.
- Full report and reaction in Monday's EADT.