Spartacus on the march again
SPARTACUS, the Ipswich professional boxing hero, is on the march next week in Norwich.The 25-year-old light heavyweight will, on Saturday week, be bidding to make it 11 out of 11 wins as a professional on a big Frank Warren bill at the Norwich Sports Village.
SPARTACUS, the Ipswich professional boxing hero, is on the march next week in Norwich.
The 25-year-old light heavyweight will, on Saturday week, be bidding to make it 11 out of 11 wins as a professional on a big Frank Warren bill at the Norwich Sports Village.
His opponent is as tough and durable as they come in the shape of Paul Bonson, a former rugby league professional from Featherstone.
"Bonson has been in with the best including the world ranked Clinton Woods. He's had 76 fights and has never been stopped, apart from when a cut has been involved," said Spartacus, the Bramford fighter, whose real name is Steve Smith.
You may also want to watch:
"On top of that I'll be giving away a stone in weight as he's over 14 stone and me 13," he added.
The crowd-pleasing Suffolk boxer was set to take on another seasoned journeyman in Tony Booth just before Christmas. But he had to pull out due to a heavy cold.
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 3 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 4 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 7 Watchdog upholds mother's complaint about handling of son's special education needs
- 8 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 9 Felixstowe to get £1million 'beach village' with new attractions
- 10 Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
"That was a blow, a big blow, as I badly needed that fight. But you can't do yourself justice with a streaming cold," said Spartacus.
"This fight with Bonson will be a huge test for me also. It will be a real toughening up experience. To stop him I'll have to do something special. But that's what I'll be out to do."
The Spartacus Army of fans that always follow their favourite were disappointed at missing the trip to East London in December to cheer their hero on.
Now an even bigger following is expected to be with him in Norwich on Saturday week.
A Southern Area title shot is well on the cards for Spartacus if he can achieve another notch on his belt against Bonson. It could be a distinct possibility before the middle of the year.
A British title crack will be the aim after that.
This week Spartacus has been training hard at a gymnasium in Chigwell under the watchful eye of manager Tony Sims.
Tickets for the Norwich Sports village show are priced £25. To book one telephone 07801-580320.