Spartacus wins on points

Bramford light heavyweight Steve Spartacus took his record to seven straight wins in another late night encounter at Bethnal Green's York Hall on Saturday night, when he went over old ground to earn a fairly straight forward 40-36 decision after four rounds against Birmingham based veteran Michael Pinnock.

Bramford light heavyweight Steve Spartacus took his record to seven straight wins at Bethnal Green's York Hall on Saturday night, earning a fairly straight-

forward 40-36 decision after four rounds against Birmingham-based veteran Michael Pinnock.

Pinnock had actually been Spartacus's first opponent when he joined the pro ranks last September and on that occasion the Bramford man had earned a similar four-round points victory.

Although the contest did not get underway until after 11pm, a full hour earlier than Spartacus's last outing at Manchester last month,

thankfully this time there were still plenty of onlookers at the venue to cheer him on, including around 100 who had made the journey from Suffolk.

He made his intentions clear from the opening bell and was straight on to the front foot with his hands high, banging home a right to the body of Pinnock, who was quickly backed into a corner, defending instinctively as Spartacus unloaded a variety of shots. Pinnock looked for a gap to reply but threw very few shot in return and landed even less.

Most Read

The second round continued along similar lines with Spartacus firing home a solid left to the body of Pinnock, followed by a straight left to the chin. With his fans

urging him forward, Spartacus then scored with a neat right-left

combination and a big left-hook to increase his lead.

There was a mini revival from Pinnock at the start of the third round when he found the mark with an over-hand right and a straight left, but Spartacus was able to reply instantly with quick lefts to the body and head.

Spartacus started to step up a gear as the bell approached and Pinnock ended the round on the canvass, although referee Ken Curtis adjudged that he had merely slipped and no count was given.

The last round saw both men in up close in the early stages, but by the mid-point, the class of Spartacus was showing again as he hit home with another over-hand right and a left to the body.

He was still throwing leather, banging in left hooks to the body of Pinnock, when the final bell

rang and his arm was raised by

referee Curtis, who gave him every round. He made his way back to the dressing room through a crowd of his supporters, all offering their congratulations and they will no doubt return for the next instalment of the Sparatcus story early next year.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter