Squirrels pull plug on Witches meeting
THE weather is set fair, the track is in great shape – yet there will be no speedway at Foxhall Stadium tonight.The traditional Thursday night entertainment for Ipswich Evening Star Witches supporters has been called off.
By Elvin King
THE weather is set fair, the track is in great shape – yet there will be no speedway at Foxhall Stadium tonight.
The traditional Thursday night entertainment for Ipswich Evening Star Witches supporters has been called off... because of squirrels.
The furry little creatures have done their worst in the woods on Foxhall Heath, and messed up the
You may also want to watch:
They have gnawed through cables, and not only given themselves a shock but Witches fans as well.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 5 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 6 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 7 Man caused £26k worth of damage after setting fire to van and car
- 8 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 9 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 10 London man who travelled to meet decoy teen to stand trial
After a thumping victory over Peterborough last Thursday, Ipswich were looking to get their championship challenge back on track. And their fans were eager to witness the defeat of bottom-of-the-table Belle Vue.
But because of the power supply problem, the meeting has been put back to later in the season.
"It is out of our hands," said Witches director Magda Louis, while Foxhall Stadium manager Nick Thomas confirmed that the situation is completely outside the control of Witches' landlords Spedeworth International.
He said: "In the early hours of last Sunday morning a sub-station in the woods outside the stadium suffered a major problem caused, I am told by the electric supply company, by squirrels.
"This resulted in a loss of power on most of our
phases and indeed for most of Kesgrave. This left us in some doubt about whether we could have floodlighting running by Thursday night.
"Full marks to the supply company as they worked hard to get power on for us before the 2.30pm start time of our Sunday stock car meeting.
"But what we currently have is a temporary repair after the surge caused damage inside the equipment cabin in the stadium."