St Joseph’s College duo jumping for joy after gymnastics success
- Credit: Archant
Two pupils from St Joseph’s College have recently tasted double gymnastic success.
India Goodman 15, who only took up trampolining two years ago, having been an elite gymnast up to the age of 13, has been ranked one of the top two trampolinists in the region for her grade and age group.
She will now represent the East in both trampolining and double mini-trampoline (DMT) at the Trampoline, DMT and Tumbling Regional Finals in Peterborough, taking place on May 30 and 31.
India has been training hard and feels fully prepared for the event.
She said: “In my training, leading up to the competition, I have just been practising and trying to perfect my routines.
“Once I feel happy with the routines in the session, I start practicing and learning new skills that I am going to use in other competitions to be able to increase the difficulty and starting tariff. At the moment training is going well and I’m feeling prepared for the competition.”
As well as India, gymnast Emma Wilkinson (8), took part in a regional qualifier competition in which she passed her compulsory 4 Elite grade, as well as taking third place overall.
- 1 Gucci items hidden in Asda stores across the country
- 2 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 3 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 4 'A lovely green space' - race against time to buy mini-Ipswich woodland
- 5 Apology for Ipswich pub landlords after 'insensitive LGBT+ comments'
- 6 'My life is hard enough' - Suffolk disabled dad struggles to repair home
- 7 Emergency roadworks on busy Ipswich street to fix leaking water main
- 8 Ipswich man jailed for three years for attempted robbery
- 9 6 ice rinks to visit in Norfolk and Suffolk this Christmas
- 10 Driver taken to hospital after two vehicle crash near Ipswich train station
This allowed Emma to compete at the Women’s Artistic National Compulsory Level 4 and 3 Championships, where she struck Gold as part of the East of England Team.
Proud mum Alison Wilkinson, said: “Emma performed amazingly well. She was a worthy member of the team and chuffed to get gold.”
Emma, who is a Year 4 pupil at St Joseph’s Prep School, trains for 16 hours a week at Pipers Vale Gymnastics Club in Ipswich.
She took 18th place individually in the weekend event, which saw the country’s top 61 Level 4 gymnasts take part.
St Joseph’s principal Danielle Clarke, said: “We are incredibly proud of Emma. Her success is born out of determination and hard work. It is an inspiration to all our pupils, who see what can be achieved when individuals are challenged to be their best.”