Stonham stun poor Walsham

SIL SOCCER: Stonham Aspel 4 Walsham 1. Martin Moye was brought down in the penalty box by a Walsham defender in the second minute with Peachment easily converting the penalty to put Stonham ahead.


Stonham Aspel 4 Walsham 1

MARTIN Moye was brought down in the penalty box by a Walsham defender in the second minute with Peachment easily converting the penalty to put Stonham ahead.

After good work from Martin Moye and Gardiner opening up the Walsham defence Bennett fired home an unstoppable shot to increase Stonham's lead after 40 minutes.

Four minutes later Bennett increased Stonham's lead to three when he guided home a superb cross from Peachment.

Walsham put early pressure on in the second half but to no avail as Martin Moye added number four against the run of play after 58 minutes sliding home a cross from G Brown.

Most Read

After more pressure Walsham finally broke Stonham's defence when Lay failed to hold a cross leaving Partridge to kick overhead into an empty net for a consolation goal after 73 minutes to leave Walsham with their heaviest defeat for a long time.

Ipswich Athletic 4 Westerfield 2 (match abandoned after 73 mins)

THIS high-scoring encounter ended in tragedy for young Athletic striker Ford, who needed a four-hour operation on two breaks in his leg.

Westerfield had gone ahead after a bright opening after Osborne's cross was turned into his own net by Jacobs in the fifth minute.

Athletic, who were in disarray in the early stages and had keeper Johns to thank for keeping them in the game, surged back with goals from Beddoes who drove in a 17th minute equaliser and Harrold put them in front with a delicate chip over Turner in the 26th minute.

Harrold again finished off a low ball from Beddoes in the 36th minute but Winship pulled a goal back when his 40th minutes inswinging corner sailed in at the far post.

Athletic had the edge in midfield in the second period but the play swung from end to end until the 65th minute when Taylor, with a magnificent solo run from 40 yards, regained Athletic's two-goal cushion.

Then came the late tackle by Winship on Ford that saw him yellow carded. An ambulance was called but in the fast fading light the referee had no option but to call a halt with 17 minutes left which was a sad ending to what had been a good afternoon's game of football.

Metaltec SIL chief executive Alan Gorham said yesterday that he thought the game would be replayed, but it would be a league committee decision.

Achilles 1 Capel Plough 3

ACHILLES showed few signs of being able to stop their recent losing sequence as they slumped to defeat against fellow strugglers Capel Plough.

Achilles virtually gifted the visitors opening goal in the 13th minute as a needless back header by a defender gave away a corner. The resulting kick from King found Holder, whose close-range header gave the keeper no chance.

Capel increased their lead in first-half injury-time when Albins' angled shot from the edge of the box finished in the net.

Achilles enjoyed a spell of attacking after the break, but it was the visitors who increased their lead when manager Pat Tynan lost his marker to volley past the keeper into the bottom corner of the net.

Substitute Cooke gave the Achilles a ray of hope in the 74th minute when he netted with a low volley through a packed goalmouth.

In the final quarter Achilles dominated but were unable to find the net.

Bramford 3 Woodbridge Athletic 0

WOODBRIDGE Athletic opened brightly and Broom had two chances in the first three minutes, but both caused no problems for goalkeeper Leggett.

Bramford opened the scoring in their first attack when Brill's inswinging corner was punched into the net by the Woodbridge keeper.

Bramford increased their lead when Burman and McCarthy interchanged passes before the latter gave the keeper no chance with a snapshot.

Woodbridge opened the second half strongly, but at no time did they put keeper Leggett under any real pressure. Burman's free-kick from the edge of the box was driven into the defensive wall and hacked away for a corner.

Bramford scored their third goal when Ditcham's pinpoint cross was headed home by Steward at the far post.

Crane Sports 4 Stanton 4

AFTER being 3-1 down, Stanton fought back to go 4-3 up but any side with Julian Beaumont on their side are always likely to score goals.

It was no surprise when Beaumont brought the scores level with his third to complete a fine hat-trick, which gave Cranes a point they fully deserved.

As early as the fourth minute, a fine pass by Robert Beacroft gave Beaumont a chance but his shot hit the bar.

Cranes opened the scoring in the 22nd minute when Justin Middlemiss put Julian Beaumont in space, this time he made no mistake.

A shot by Robert Beacroft was cleared off the line by Simon Proctor before Stanton were level. A mix-up in the Cranes' defence left Neil Ellis an easy chance.

Straight from the kick-off, Cranes regained the lead when Beaumont ran clear and scored his second. Andy Mustoe then pulled off a great save from Robert Beacroft before Melvin Clarke scored a great goal to put Cranes 3-1 up.

Then came the Stanton fight back. In the 60th minute, Danny Portaway scored with a penalty, then Neil Ellis, after a corner kick fell to him, made it 3-3. With 12 minutes to go, Alan Ross put Stanton in a 4-3 lead, but again Julian Beaumont broke through and scored his third, and Cranes' fourth, which gave us a final score 4-4.

Leiston 2 Grundisburgh 2

ST MARGARET'S survived an early effort from Clennell that smashed into the side netting.

There followed some rugged midfield exchanges before a brilliant break by the home side on 42 minutes, saw them go ahead with a well-worked move that left Grundisburgh stranded.

A minute later, Grundisburgh were reduced to ten men when Clennell received a red card after an ugly incident near the corner flag when blows appeared to be exchanged.

After 48 minutes, St Margaret's went two up when a deflected shot flashed into Gaunt's top corner after a left-wing corner had eluded the defence.

After 59 minutes, Grundisburgh pulled one back when Broad exploded an 18-yard shot into the top corner from Pratt's neat knockdown.

After 68 minute, a 35-yard curling free-kick from Lockard skidded untouched into the St Margaret's net through a crowded penalty area.

Old Newton 0 Melton St Audry's 0

THE first clear chance fell to the home side as Ager hit the bar and Evans failed to convert on the follow-up.

Minutes later a free-kick for the home side saw McKenna saving at full stretch from Smythe.

The visitors then received a free-kick which fell to Wheatley whose shot was over the bar.

With Melton in their opponents' half Richards beat the offside trap only for Old Newton to see another good chance go begging. A good move by Melton involving several players ended with Stokes going close.

Old Newton struck back with Coxhall setting up Smythe whose cross had everybody beaten, apart from the keeper who made a comfortable save. Melton's substitute Leonard then produced the save of the game when Paisley dived at full stretch to stop his goalbound shot.