Stow celebrate centenary
GOLF: The first 100 years of golf at Stowmarket is being celebrated this year with varying events to mark the occasion. Last week a 68-page book, documenting the club's 100-year history, was launched with a free copy given to every member.
THE first 100 years of golf at Stowmarket is being celebrated this year with varying events to mark the occasion.
Last week a 68-page book, documenting the club's 100-year history, was launched with a free copy given to every member.
At the launch, Stowmarket's president, John Dahl and in-coming captain, Lionel Denny, were presented with inscribed copies of the cased edition of the book by the club.
The book has taken four-and-a-half years to produce and was masterminded by four current members – former club and ladies captains, Margaret and Dennis Leaming who gathered the information; John Christie, another past captain, who took on the role of editor and scribe while Richard Gale was responsible for the lay-out and design.
There are a number of events planned throughout the year and details can be found on the club's website at www.club-noticeboard.co.uk.
The events already planned include a special competition in June in honour of Jack Barnard, one of the founder members, a fortnight of activity in the middle of the season that includes a fancy dress mixed competition and ending with a Centenary Ball.
- 1 Ipswich Station closed as man arrested for possessing a firearm
- 2 Beautiful new bottomless brunches launch at Ipswich bar
- 3 'Lovely to be acknowledged' - Ipswich craft shop pleased with bounce back
- 4 Man arrested after Ipswich train station incident released
- 5 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 6 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 7 Court to decide how much swindler should repay customers
- 8 North Stander: We've become a sacking club - and that makes me uneasy
- 9 Family's gratitude after Christmas samaritan's £50 act of kindness
- 10 Yellow weather warning in place as Storm Barra set to hit Suffolk
Additional copies can be bought from the club for £8.99 or a cased edition (limited number) for £20.