Stowmarket eye top five finish
JEWSON SOCCER: Stowmarket 1 Ipswich Wanderers 1. Stowmarket grabbed a late equaliser to draw 1-1 at home to Ipswich Wanderers last night to boost their chances of a top-five finish in a replayed match which was originally abandoned last November.
Stowmarket 1 Ipswich Wanderers 1
STOWMARKET grabbed a late equaliser to draw 1-1 at home to Ipswich Wanderers last night to boost their chances of a top-five finish in a replayed match which was originally abandoned last November.
In an opening period of few chances, it was the visitors who made the breakthrough just before half-time, when Aren Howell was given too much space and made no mistake, firing his shot just inside a post.
Stowmarket had much the better of the chances in the second half and Stuart Jopling saw an early header go just wide of the Wanderers' post.
Town built up a period of pressure and Stuart Knowles saw a shot go just wide before the home side eventually got on terms in the 75th minute. Carl Ratcliffe stepped up to send a left-footed free-kick into the Wanderers' net to equalise.
Stowmarket pushed for a winner but in the end had to settle for a point. Victory over Soham on Saturday will confirm a top-five finish for Stowmarket.
- 1 Apology for Ipswich pub landlords after 'insensitive LGBT+ comments'
- 2 ‘I thought I was going to die’ - Woman feels let down after spiking
- 3 'My life is hard enough' - Suffolk disabled dad struggles to repair home
- 4 More than 200 homes in Ipswich without electricity after power cut
- 5 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 6 Gucci items hidden in Asda stores across the country
- 7 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 8 Man acted as lookout while accomplice robbed Ipswich store
- 9 'A lovely green space' - race against time to buy mini-Ipswich woodland
- 10 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside