Stowmarket hit for six

PUBLISHED: 09:44 07 January 2002 | UPDATED: 11:08 03 March 2010

Jewson League Premier: Maldon Town 6 Stowmarket Town 0 -

ON A perfectly playable pitch it was the visitors who settled first and their

attacking play produced a series of corners.

Maldon Town 6 Stowmarket Town 0

ON A perfectly playable pitch it was the visitors who settled first and their

attacking play produced a series of corners. These failed to trouble the

Maldon defence and eventually the home side got into their stride with Adrian Owers and Craig Newman orchestrating the play from midfield.

After 19 minutes Maldon's Neil Cousins was put through with only the keper to beat, Nunn made a fine save, however it was only a temporary reprieve as a minute later

Terry Warwick fired home from close range to open the score.

Maldon left wing back, Craig Huttley, was a constant threat to the Stowmarket defence during the first half and after 25 minutes he put in a cross that was met by Cousins who headed powerfully towards the bottom corner where Nunn diving to his right pushed the ball around the post.

From the resulting corner the Huttley -Cousins combination this time proved unstoppable as Cousins leapt to meet the ball and planted his header firmly into the net.

Huttley caused further chaos in the Stowmarket defence when on 34 minutes his long throw was flicked on for Terry Warwick to head home at the far post to make it three. It was one way traffic at this point and another cross this time by Owers was met by Warwick enabling the Maldon striker to complete a first half hat-trick.

Maldon made it five after 52 minutes and again Huttley was the provider crossing from the left for Warwick to get in front of his defender to divert the ball into the net from close range.

Not surprisingly the game lost some direction during the second half, but

with Craig Newman showing excellent close control and with the ability to go past players Maldon always looked capable to extending their lead further. On 75 minutes Manager Colin Wallington made a multiple substitution replacing Younan, Moss and Huttley with Keeble, Daly, and Staerck. In the closing minutes Warwick and Daly both spurned presentable chances, but in fairness

Nunn in the Stowmarket produced a range of stops to prevent his side being completely routed. However on the verge of fulltime he was powerless to prevent Maldon's sixth goal.

Keeble won the ball in midfield and fed Newman who in turn released Daly. The Maldon substitute broke into the box before firing under the Stowmarket


The final score line if anything underestimated Maldon's domination in a game where Maldon's stand in 'keeper John Reeve remained a spectator for lengthy spells.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ipswich Star