Stowmarket progress in Jewson Cup
SOCCER: Stowmarket 3 Ely 1. Stowmarket, apart from a brief spell just after the interval, made comfortable progress into the last 16 of the Jewson League Cup.
JEWSON LEAGUE CUP
Stowmarket 3 Ely 1
STOWMARKET, apart from a brief spell just after the interval, made comfortable progress into the last 16 of the Jewson League Cup.
There were chances at either end with Moy for the visitors and King for the home side both putting efforts just past the post. A quickly taken free-kick should have led to the home side taking a lead with Jopling unmarked in the area, but the leading scorer put his header wide.
Jopling, however, put the home side into the lead with a superb lofted shot.
Almost on half time Stowmarket doubled their lead with Aldis ramming home a loose ball after Pannell had struck the crossbar.
- 1 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
- 2 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 3 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 4 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 5 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 6 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 7 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 8 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 9 Did you know these 10 pubs were open in Ipswich?
- 10 Motorist angry over £100 'fine' at Ipswich car park
Ely's best period saw them reduce the arrears in the 52nd minute when a rare lapse in the home defence allowed Lippiatt through on goal and he made no mistake shooting past Nunn.
Jopling's second of the night – his 15th of the season – made sure of a home win when he raced into the area and with no team mate in support lashed the ball inside the far post with Banthorpe well beaten.