Stowmarket Swimming Club are crowned masters of Suffolk
- Credit: Archant
Stowmarket Swimming Club recaptured the Top Visiting Club trophy at this year’s Valentine’s Masters meet in Sudbury.
The meet doubles up as an open event for swimmers throughout the North London and East Region area as well as being the Suffolk Masters Championships for Suffolk swimmers.
In the open section, Stowmarket grabbed 12 gold medals and were crowned Suffolk champions in 18 events.
In the 45-49 years age, Clive Mitson stormed to victory in the 50 metres backstroke, 100m and 50m breaststroke, 100m IM and 50m freestyle.
Mitson also won a bronze in the 200m freestyle and was Suffolk champion in all six events.
Iron man Len Phoenix won gold in the 65-69 years 50m back (Suffolk champion), silvers in the 50m fly, 100m IM, 50m breast and 100m back, a bronze in the 50m fly and fifth places in the 200m and 50m freestyle.
Dale Barker (50-54) powered to a win in the 200m and 100m freestyle, 100m IM and 100m fly, to become Suffolk champion.
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 'This is all I've got' - Woman fighting to keep home where mum died
- 3 Teen taken to hospital with serious injuries after Ipswich crash
- 4 Cocaine dealers involved in 'Bash' drugs line in Suffolk are jailed
- 5 Teen fractured taxi driver's skull in 'shocking display of violence'
- 6 Adventure Golf attraction set to make way for new homes
- 7 Five forgotten Ipswich music venues and what they are now
- 8 Felixstowe man to star on small screen with converted Mini Cooper
- 9 Woman bit dog owner during dispute over not picking up mess
- 10 Revealed: The Indian restaurants in Ipswich with five-star hygiene ratings
Andy Wright was hampered with a fractured fibula but still won gold in the 55-59 years 100m backstroke, silvers in the 200m freestyle, 50m back, and 100m butterfly and bronze in the 50m fly and 50m freestyle.
Wright is now a five-time Suffolk champion.
In the ladies’ section, Sue Penman was equal third overall with 30 points.
Penman took gold in the 50-54 years 50m fly (Suffolk Champion), silvers in the 50m back, 100m freestyle, 50m freestyle and 100m IM and bronze in the 200m freestyle.
The impressive Penman swam two personal best times in the 100m (Suffolk Champion) and 50m freestyle.
In the 16-24 years group, Ryan Tutthill clinched silver in the 100m breaststroke and had five other top-10 placings out of his eight swims.
Alasdair Penman narrowly missed out on the medals in the 100m IM. Penman had four other top ten finishes out of his seven races.