Strong showing at swimming championships
THERE were a number of strong performances at Deben's Annual Club Championships.Commencing with the long distance events, the winner of the girls 14 years and under 800m freestyle was Alice Tennant who had a superb swim in a time of 9:40.
THERE were a number of strong performances at Deben's Annual Club Championships.
Commencing with the long distance events, the winner of the girls 14 years and under 800m freestyle was Alice Tennant who had a superb swim in a time of 9:40.25, gaining a new championship best time record.
Tennant, who recently achieved Long Course PB's in both the 50m and 100m freestyle events at the National Youth Championships in Sheffield, has been invited to attend the Regional Talent and Development Level Two Age Group Camps.
This will give Tennant the opportunity to swim in three camps in September, January and April and is further testament to the success of the club.
Fenella Foskett, who also recorded a new championship best time of 9:47.73, won the girls Open 800m event.
There were strong performances from all the competitors, with a number of swimmers competing over 800m for the first time.
- 1 A14 reopens near Ipswich after four-vehicle crash
- 2 'He was a really good man' - Neighbour's shock following Ipswich house fire
- 3 Former nightclub with flat conversion plan heads to auction
- 4 Ipswich drug dealer sentenced to two years in jail
- 5 Police cordon off Felixstowe town centre car park after incident
- 6 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as Covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 7 Estate agent switches household’s energy supply without telling tenant
- 8 'I don't want families going through this' - Mum backs bridge campaign
- 9 Mental health referral review after death of 'wonderful' 16-year-old boy
- 10 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
Emma Studd, 11, had a very strong swim finishing in an excellent time of 13:04.09 in her first attempt over the distance.
The boys 14 years and under 1500m event was won by James Attwater in a time of 18:48.83.
Again, many of those competing were racing over the distance for the first time. First place in the 15 years and over category went to Benjamin Davies who gave a strong performance achieving a championship best time and finishing in 17:37.69.
Elsewhere, Will Meadows swam an impressive 16 second PB, finishing in an excellent time of 19:44.57 after competing in a triathlon event earlier the same day.
Deben's Club Championships continue in two weeks with the 400m events.