Sudbury inch towards safety
Sudbury 2, Stevenage 1A superb second half come back gave Sudbury another vital three points in their quest for survival in the Printwise Division Two South league.
Sudbury 2, Stevenage 1
A superb second half come back gave Sudbury another vital three points in their quest for survival in the Printwise Division Two South league.
Both sides squandered penalty corners before Stevenage took the lead mid way through the first half when they broke down the left and an excellent pass across the top of the circle gave the Stevenage player all the time he needed to pick his spot past the advancing Andy Stopps.
After some harsh words at half time, revolving mainly around Sudburys desire to win this vital match, Sudbury came out after the interval a totally side.
Commitment and a sense of purpose were now evident, with Tim Blackburn, Nick Thorpe and Andy Beresford all pushing the rest of the side forward.
Up front Nick Keefe came more into the game as his vision around the circle began top draw more players into the play.
- 1 Hank's Deli closes its doors but remembers food bank
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Appeal to find 33-year-old missing man
- 4 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 5 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 6 Drug addict stole £7,000 from safe at auction house
- 7 Nursing class looking to reunite after four decades
- 8 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 9 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 10 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
Following a couple of missed chances, Sudbury finally got their deserved equaliser when they varied a penalty corner routine to Blackburn, whose shot towards the far post was smartly diverted home by Gavin Ratcliff.
Sheer persistence by Sudbury to wear Stevenage down finally got its just reward when, three minutes from time, a repeat of the variation from the penalty corner saw Blackburn again strike his shot goalwards and with the help of a deflection from the Stevenage defence the goal flew over the goal line.
It was a hard earned victory and eased Sudbury still further away from the bottom of a very tight league.