Sudbury stretch lead to 15 points
Jewson Premier: Gorleston 1 AFC Sudbury 3 - AFC Sudbury extended their lead at the top of the Jewson league to 15 points with their first victory at Gorleston since the merger of the Sudbury clubs.
Gorleston 1 AFC Sudbury 3
AFC Sudbury extended their lead at the top of the Jewson league to 15 points with their first victory at Gorleston since the merger of the Sudbury clubs. After Banya had created an early chance for Bennett for him to shoot wide Gorleston's Danby went close with a strong downward header followed by Nower saving from Wooldridge at the near post. Ingram sent a powerful 30 yard shot flashing narrowly wide before Bishop set up Banya who shot on the turn was well over.
AFC Sudbury went ahead on the half hour, another swift attacking build up started by Bennett allowing Rayner to release Owen who cleverly sidestepped Cooper before scoring from an acute angle.
Within minutes only a superb reflex save from Nower kept out a stringing close range shot from Wooldridge before AFC increased their lead through a delightful four man move ending with Betson accurately crossing to the far post where Banya was waiting to head comfortably in to the net.
You may also want to watch:
Bennett almost made it three turning on Banya's cross to get in a shot that Cockrill blocked on the line.
Shortly after Cockrill was at the other end to send a 35 yard shot skimming just past the post followed Wooldridge heading over from a good position.
- 1 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 2 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 3 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 5 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 6 Trial set for man who robbed mum of her handbag
- 7 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 8 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 9 Holly holding onto new hope in eating disorder recovery process
- 10 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
Within minutes of the restart efforts from Bishop, Bennett and Banya had finished off target before two free kicks for Gorleston on the edge of the area saw Cockrill send the first just over the bar and have the second blocked.
AFC made it three after 75 minutes when a needless attempted backpass went for a corner from which Tracey flicked on Norfolk's kick to Bishop who turned and shoot past Cooper.
A timely tackle by Hyde stopped Danby pulling a goal back and then Tanner cleared away from the foot of the post before Gorleston scored a consolation three minutes from time, a corner being cleared only as far as Ottley who drove a first time shot across Nower into the net.