Can you guess these former World Cup posters?
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
It’s not the first thing that comes to mind when somebody mentions the World Cup, but every tournament has a poster - how many can you remember?
The Russia 2018 poster, designed by Russian artist Igor Gurovich, features legendary Russian goalkeeper Lev Yashin saving a ball showing Russia from space, reflecting the country’s achievements in space exploration.
At the poster’s launch, Fifa Secretary General Fatma Samoura said: “The official poster of the 2018 Fifa World Cup is a true reflection of Russia’s artistic and football heritage.
“We are very proud of this beautiful landmark asset that portrays such an important icon and celebrates the coming tournament on Russian soil.”
Igor Gurovich explained: “The style of Soviet post-constructivist posters from the 1920s and 1930s, and their unique visual language, became one of the most important and revered elements of Russian culture.
“This language is unquestionably thought of as Russian throughout the world,” he continued. “Therefore, in my work on the poster, I really wanted to make this language modern and relevant once again.”
Chairman of the Russia 2018 Local Organising Committee Vitaly Mutko added: “It was very important for us to portray Russia as the host country in the official poster.
- 1 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 2 Former BBC DJ to go live with new station
- 3 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 4 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 5 Delays likely on major Ipswich road as 12 days of roadworks planned
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 7 Matchday Recap: A replay awaits as Town fail to beat Barrow
- 8 Gang jailed for 'horrific' torture attack on man in Ipswich home
- 9 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 10 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
“That’s why we chose Lev Yashin, a symbol of Russian football, as the main figure. I’m sure that the poster will become one of the most memorable symbols of the 2018 Fifa World Cup Russia and that fans and participants alike will approve of it.”