Suffolk in derby win
BOWLS: Suffolk defeated old rivals Norfolk by 31 shots in the EBA Eastern Counties Under-30s League.Halesworth Angel BC was the venue for the annual clash which always produces that little extra bit of spice.
SUFFOLK defeated old rivals Norfolk by 31 shots in the EBA Eastern Counties Under-30s League.
Halesworth Angel BC was the venue for the annual clash which always produces that little extra bit of spice.
Suffolk's youngsters, with an age spread from 12 to 27, are starting to gel as they have gradually improved throughout the season. They are showing great promise for the future and won on this occasion by 78 shots to 47.
On rink one Lee Garwood skipped, bringing the best out of Michael Thorrington at lead, Ben Beamish second and Stuart Gaught at three.
Taking a three-shot lead on five ends, which they held, they then built on it to take a 25-10 advantage at 15 ends to win 28-14 and take the winning rink spoons.
- 1 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 2 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
- 3 Armed police arrest two 16-year-olds on suspicion of firearms offences
- 4 10,000 listeners tune in to new Suffolk radio station
- 5 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 6 Serious fire breaks out at home in Woodbridge
- 7 'Dire for hospitality in Ipswich' - grill owner hits out at hardship grants
- 8 'It's very frustrating': Anger as £150 stolen from charity shop in Felixstowe
- 9 'Depraved' Felixstowe man jailed for child sex offences
- 10 Weather warning in place for Suffolk as temperatures plunge below freezing
Mark Royal skipped rink two with great enthusiasm and was well supported by Michael Rice at lead, Mark Roberts at two, and James Davis three.
This was a see-saw game with Suffolk taking a 10-2 lead on five ends only to be pegged back to 10-12 at 10 ends. Superb executions of drawing and running woods allowed the Suffolk rink to regain the lead on 15 ends to win 22-18.
On rink three skip Richard Leeder, currently in a rich vein of form, produced crucial running woods to convert heads to Suffolk's advantage. Alistair Cook at lead set up the heads and Darryl Snell at two and Jamie Bloom at three gave the crowd much to applaud, just losing out for the spoons. Suffolk held a 5-4 lead on five ends, moving to 19-10 on fifteen ends and winning by 28-15.
Scores (Suffolk first): 5 ends, 23-11, 10 ends, 36-31, 15 end, 60-33, 21 ends, 78-47.
Suffolk team: Rink one: Michael Thorrington (Norbridge), Ben Beamish (Bor of Eye), Stuart Gaught (Risbygate), Lee Garwood. Norfolk Skip. James Bailey. Rink two: Michael Rice (Margaret Catchpole), Mark Roberts (Halesworth Angel), James Davis (Brandon Town), Mark Royal (Rookery). Norfolk Skip. Damon Hudson. Rink three: Alistair Cook (Halesworth Angel), Darryl Snell (Bor of Eye) Jamie Bloom and Richard Leeder both (Rookery). Norfolk skip. Patrick Willimott.
Reserves: Luke Craddock and Dean Whatling (both Halesworth Angel).