SUFFOLK SPORTS AWARDS: Harry Martin is the Sports Personality of the Year
- Credit: Archant
Harry Martin picked up the main award at the Suffolk Sports Awards on Friday night at Trinity Park.
The Olympic hockey player, formerly of Ipswich School, won the Sports Personality of the Year award.
Martin, who plays for Beeston, was the youngest member of the 2012 Team GB squad and will be targeting a place in England’s 2014 Commonwealth Games team, along with other ambitions.
Javelin thrower Harry Hughes won Young Sports Personality, while Ipswich Basketball Club won Archant’s Team of the Year.
Bury Rugby’s Gavin Hogg won Coach of the Year, with Ipswich Hockey Club’s Under-16 girls securing the Junior Team of the Year gong.
Woodbridge Rugby Union Club won the Contribution to Disability Sports award, while Sporting 87 Football Club’s James Price won the Young Community Volunteer of the Year.
The Project of the Year went to Ipswich Parkrun, David Barker and Paul Whittaker won the Unsung Hero award, Halifax Primary won the Primary School of the Year award and Thomas Wolsey took the Secondary School honour.
- 1 Smoke seen across Ipswich as crews tackle large fire
- 2 'He'd be dead' - mum's terror after wave drags her and baby down beach
- 3 Ongoing heathland blaze sees 147 calls made to fire service
- 4 GALLERY: Photos show devastating aftermath of huge fire near Ipswich
- 5 Strong interest expected as 'prime' town centre shop unit hits market with price tag of more than £1m
- 6 Farmer 'heartbroken' as land sees fourth fire in 10 days
- 7 Matchday Recap: How Town's cup defeat to Colchester played out
- 8 Teenager sexually assaulted and then robbed in Ipswich
- 9 U-turn on decision to scrap last buses in Ipswich - for now
- 10 Convicted murderer released on temporary license arrested in Ipswich
Eleswhere, Ironman competitor Al MacPherson, who suffers from Chron’s disease won the Triumph over Adversity award, while Archant’s tennis columnist Peter Mornard won the Lifetime Achievement award.
See Wednesday’s newspaper for a comprehensive review.