Summer camps have proved splash hit
SWIMMING: Competition time might have fallen fairly quiet across the region's many swimming pools, but it certainly hasn't stopped Suffolk's youngsters from making a splash.
By Debbie Watson
COMPETITION time might have fallen fairly quiet across the region's many swimming pools, but it certainly hasn't stopped Suffolk's youngsters from making a splash.
Crown Pools, Broomhill, Deben and Felixstowe have all turned into a leisure haven for children and families since the end of school term, with many facilities offering special seasonal activities for the young.
At Fore Street pool and Crown Pools in Ipswich an exciting new initiative has managed to tie together several water sports with the intention of teaching a mix of specialised skills and essential water safety.
The all-day water summer camps kicked off at Crown Pools last Monday, providing activity sessions between 9am and 4pm.
- 1 Severe delays on A14 and Orwell Bridge after wheel falls off ambulance
- 2 Lorry recovered after overturning on A14 roundabout at Felixstowe
- 3 Two hour delays on A14 after road closed near Felixstowe
- 4 5 businesses opening up in Ipswich soon
- 5 Taco Bell plans set to be approved
- 6 Driver taken to hospital after three-car crash on A12 near Ipswich
- 7 A14 slip road closed near Ipswich after BMW catches fire
- 8 Memorial match for colleague killed outside takeaway
- 9 'The food at this new Ipswich restaurant tastes amazing'
- 10 Suffolk cinemas at risk as Cineworld 'set to file for bankruptcy'
It's an idea that was given a trial over the Christmas holiday period and proved a massive success.
Maxine Smith, a co-ordinator of teaching sessions at the Ipswich pools, has been helping to organise the summer time events.
"The Christmas trial gave us a real understanding of what youngsters wanted from the pool-based activities," she said.
"We're now running these sessions for a total of 20 children on each of the days, and carrying it on for two weeks."
Although swimming remains central to the sessions, the day's itinerary also includes water polo, snorkelling, water rescue – and fun sessions.
"It's a perfect way to let children sample all kinds of water sports, but also to teach them the importance of water safety.
"We envisage this becoming a regular holiday activity and are confident that all the children are thoroughly enjoying the experience."
Dates for your diary
Saturday, September 14 – Challenge Shield (mixture of A and B squads held in the evening at Crown Pools).
Saturday, October 12 – First round of Speedo League, held for the first time at Crown Pools.
Sunday, October 27 – Ipswich Open Designated Meet, held at Crown Pools.
Saturday, November 9 – Second round of Speedo League.
Saturday, November 23 – Sunday, November 24 – Ipswich domestics, held at Crown Pools.
Saturday, December 14 – Third round of Speedo League.