Summer camps have proved splash hit
SWIMMING: Competition time might have fallen fairly quiet across the region's many swimming pools, but it certainly hasn't stopped Suffolk's youngsters from making a splash.
By Debbie Watson
COMPETITION time might have fallen fairly quiet across the region's many swimming pools, but it certainly hasn't stopped Suffolk's youngsters from making a splash.
Crown Pools, Broomhill, Deben and Felixstowe have all turned into a leisure haven for children and families since the end of school term, with many facilities offering special seasonal activities for the young.
You may also want to watch:
At Fore Street pool and Crown Pools in Ipswich an exciting new initiative has managed to tie together several water sports with the intention of teaching a mix of specialised skills and essential water safety.
The all-day water summer camps kicked off at Crown Pools last Monday, providing activity sessions between 9am and 4pm.
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 4 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 5 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 8 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 9 15-year-old boy to face trial over alleged Ipswich stabbing
- 10 Specialist engineers working to fix Ipswich flooding hotspot
It's an idea that was given a trial over the Christmas holiday period and proved a massive success.
Maxine Smith, a co-ordinator of teaching sessions at the Ipswich pools, has been helping to organise the summer time events.
"The Christmas trial gave us a real understanding of what youngsters wanted from the pool-based activities," she said.
"We're now running these sessions for a total of 20 children on each of the days, and carrying it on for two weeks."
Although swimming remains central to the sessions, the day's itinerary also includes water polo, snorkelling, water rescue – and fun sessions.
"It's a perfect way to let children sample all kinds of water sports, but also to teach them the importance of water safety.
"We envisage this becoming a regular holiday activity and are confident that all the children are thoroughly enjoying the experience."
Dates for your diary
Saturday, September 14 – Challenge Shield (mixture of A and B squads held in the evening at Crown Pools).
Saturday, October 12 – First round of Speedo League, held for the first time at Crown Pools.
Sunday, October 27 – Ipswich Open Designated Meet, held at Crown Pools.
Saturday, November 9 – Second round of Speedo League.
Saturday, November 23 – Sunday, November 24 – Ipswich domestics, held at Crown Pools.
Saturday, December 14 – Third round of Speedo League.