Top six start for Murphy
IPSWICH bike ace Kieran Murphy made a sparkling start to the new 2004 British Supersport season at Silverstone.The 24-year-old, riding for the new HBC Goldstar Racing team, could only manage 13th spot after a gruelling qualifying session.
IPSWICH bike ace Kieran Murphy made a sparkling start to the new 2004 British Supersport season at Silverstone.
The 24-year-old, riding for the new HBC Goldstar Racing team, could only manage 13th spot after a gruelling qualifying session.
But he darted through the field to claim a sixth place finish in the race 24 hours later.
“Qualifying was very tough with the times set being very tight,” said Murphy. “Although I qualified in 13th place I knew I could put a good run together for the race and work my way up into a good position.”
The start of the race saw Murphy get off to a good start on the Honda CBR600 RR and make up three positions on the opening lap.
He fought his way through the field and battled with ex-Grand Prix rider Leon Camier for fifth spot.
- 1 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
- 2 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 3 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 4 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 5 Motorist angry over £100 'fine' at Ipswich car park
- 6 A12 partially reopens after crash near Copdock Interchange
- 7 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 8 Retired Felixstowe nurse fears eviction after struggle to find social housing
- 9 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 10 Stowmarket man with foot fetish sexually assaulted woman
And although he eventually had to settle for sixth, Murphy was happy at the end of the 20-lap contest.
“The HBC Goldstar Racing Honda was superb throughout the race and finishing in the top six is
encouraging for the first race of the season, and sets things up for a good run in the championship.”
Team boss Matthew Ashworth said: “The result is fantastic for a new team and we are looking forward to the next round at Brands Hatch where we can hopefully build on the good start to the season.”