Town clinch play-off spot
IPSWICH Town finally secured their place in the play-offs - despite failing to beat Cardiff in the final game of the league campaign today.A 1-1 draw with the visiting Bluebirds was enough to clinch a top six finish for Joe Royle's side as both Wigan and Sheffield United failed to grab the wins needed to overtake Town.
IPSWICH Town finally secured their place in the play-offs - despite failing to beat Cardiff in the final game of the league campaign today.
A 1-1 draw with the visiting Bluebirds was enough to clinch a top six finish for Joe Royle's side as both Wigan and Sheffield United failed to grab the wins needed to overtake Town.
Shefki Kuqi's 27th minute goal eventually proved crucial as the Blues claimed fifth place in the First Division table and booked a play-off semi-final clash with West Ham, who drew 1-1 at Wigan thanks to Brian Deane's last-gasp leveller.
The Blues will now entertain the Hammers in the first leg on Saturday, May 15 (12.15pm kick-off), with the second leg scheduled for Upton Park on Tuesday, May 18 (7.45pm). Crystal Palace will meet Sunderland in the other tie.
You may also want to watch:
Darren Bent was denied by Cardiff goalkeeper Martyn Margetson soon after Kuqi had broken the deadlock.
And Royle's men - and the home fans in a packed Portman Road crowd - were forced to sweat on other results after Ipswich midfielder Jermaine Wright appeared to deflect Lee Bullock's header past Town keeper Kelvin Davis just before the interval.
- 1 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 4 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 5 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 6 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 7 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 8 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 9 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 10 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store