Town draw blank but take a point
Sheffield United 0 Ipswich Town 0: IPSWICH were forced to share the points with Sheffield United after playing out a goalless stalemate at Brammall Lane.
Sheffield United 0 Ipswich Town 0
IPSWICH were forced to share the points with Sheffield United after playing out a goalless stalemate at Brammall Lane.
There were few clear-cut chances for either side but Joe Royle will be happy to see his team keep a clean sheet after defensive weaknesses have so often let Town down this season.
Ipswich lined-up in a 3-5-2 formation with Chris Makin playing right wing-back and Thomas Gaardsoe playing at the centre of the three-man defence.
You may also want to watch:
Gaardsoe was a tower of strength at the heart of the Town rearguard but Ipswich lacked the firepower in attack to snatch all three points.
Town's closest effort came in the 33rd minute when Darren Bent raced away from the United defence and crashed a shot against the foot of the post.
- 1 'An absolute honour' –Ipswich woman crowned Miss Universe Great Britain
- 2 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 3 'Don't wait' - People urged to get coronavirus booster
- 4 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 5 Giant inflatable obstacle course coming to an Ipswich park
- 6 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 7 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 8 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
- 9 Inside a busy GP surgery: From daily abuse to the face-to-face debate
- 10 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
Matt Holland was just inches away from converting the rebound although he might have been wondering why Bent didn't square the ball to him in the first place.
The Ipswich goal did not go without threat with Micheal Tonge always looking dangerous on the left wing for Sheffield.
In the 65th minute it was Tonge's corner that found Shaun Murphy unmarked but he could only put his header over the bar.
This draw is evidence of a more resilient Ipswich but there will need to be more dynamic forward play for Ipswich to make a real push up the table.
There can be no doubt that this is why Royle is now searching for a striker on loan but Town fans can be satisfied that at last their team are playing with the necessary passion.
Sheff Utd: Kenny, Jagielka, Harley, Murphy, Page, Brown, McCall, Tonge, Ndlovu, Peschisolido (Asaba 69), Allison (Ten Heuvel 23).
Subs: Yates, Montgomery, McGovern.
Ipswich: Marshall, Makin (Wilnis 62), Clapham, McGreal, Hreidarsson, Venus, Gaardsoe, Magilton, Holland, Armstrong (George 62), Darren Bent.
Unused Subs: Ambrose, Pullen, Wright.