Town go out to Black Cats
Ipswich 1 Sunderland 2IPSWICH Town will now be able to concentrate on their First Division promotion race after losing to Sunderland in the fourth round of the FA Cup.
Ipswich 1 Sunderland 2
IPSWICH Town will now be able to concentrate on their First Division promotion race after losing to Sunderland in the fourth round of the FA Cup.
It was their fifth defeat at Portman Road this season and keeper Kelvin Davis must take much of the blame for letting a free kick from Jason McAteer slip out of his grasp in the 68th minute so that Julio Arca could score.
Tommy Smith had given the visitors a 45th minute lead, although Ipswich came out after the interval and took control without forcing visiting keeper Mart Poom into any serious saves.
You may also want to watch:
He did however deny Shefki Kuqi on two occasions with good stops, but was helpless when substitute Martijn Reuser drove home low in the 88th minute to ensure a frantic finale.
Town manager Joe Royle can now concentrate on the league while the club, still having to watch every penny, will be unable to look towards the FA Cup for any welcome additional income for the next 12 months.
- 1 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 2 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 3 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke
- 4 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 5 Felixstowe woman accused of setting fire to caravan and drink driving
- 6 Royal Mail confirms removal of Ipswich postbox
- 7 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 8 Arrest warrants issued for men facing sheep charges
- 9 Driver presses ahead with police complaint despite losing speeding trial
- 10 40 new technology jobs announced at BT