Town may turn to Proudlock

IPSWICH could give 'bad boy' Adam Proudlock an opportunity to resurrect his career.The 24-year-old striker was sacked on Monday by Sheffield Wednesday manager Paul Sturrock for “several breaches” of the club's code of conduct.

By Mel Henderson

IPSWICH could give 'bad boy' Adam Proudlock an opportunity to resurrect his career.

The 24-year-old striker was sacked on Monday by Sheffield Wednesday manager Paul Sturrock for “several breaches” of the club's code of conduct.

But Town boss Joe Royle today admitted that he may throw the player a career lifeline.


You may also want to watch:


Royle was waiting to hear whether his attempt to sign an experienced striker on loan had been successful.

The mystery man, made aware earlier this week of Ipswich's interest in taking him to Portman Road, was today poised to deliver his decision.

Most Read

If he is turned down today, Royle has another striker in mind, but he did not deny that Proudlock is a player who definitely interests him.

“Adam's got something,” said the Town chief. “I am well aware of his ability and his availability after speaking to Wednesday in order to find out his situation.

“He is a free agent but at this moment in time I have not taken my interest any further.”

Proudlock came on as a substitute in Town's 2-0 win over the Owls at Portman Road last month.

He came off the bench again three days later and netted twice in extra time as Wednesday won 4-2 at Stockport in the Carling Cup.

But after seven substitute appearances this season he was told his Hillsborough contract was being terminated and he is now on the lookout for a new club.

Proudlock cost £150,000 when signed from first club Wolves two years ago, following a loan spell in which he scored twice in five outings.

His last start was in November last year, when he scored twice in a 4-1 win at Bristol City.

But he suffered a broken ankle towards the end of the game at Ashton Gate and only returned to action this season.

Royle added: “I've thought about Adam and although I haven't taken it any further than that it doesn't mean I won't do at some stage.

“I remember him as a young player at Wolves and he impressed me. I know things have gone a bit awry for him but players can be rehabilitated.”

Meanwhile, there is no happier Ipswich player today than defender Sito after the red card he collected in Sunday's derby defeat by Norwich was rescinded by a Football Association disciplinary appeals committee.

It means that, rather than have to serve a two-game ban, he is available for the trip to Leeds on Saturday as Town look to end a run of four league games without a win.

Royle said: “I am delighted with the decision. We felt we had a strong case because the more we looked at the video, the more it became obvious that there was only minimal, if any, contact.

“I am particularly pleased for Sito - the poor little fellow was distraught and wondering what it was all about on Sunday.

“We can't ask for a replay but it's good that the panel saw fit to rescind the red card. I thank them for their honesty because it's hard to go against a referee's decision and it is big of them.”

Fringe first-team players Jaime Peters, Dean McDonald and Jimmy Juan, all of whom were on the bench at the weekend, will turn out for Town in tonight's reserve game against Leicester at Portman Road, kick-off 7pm.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter