Town out in cup thriller
SHEFFIELD UNITED 4, IPSWICH TOWN 3 – full report and pictures in tonight's Green 'UnIPSWICH Town went out of the FA Cup today as Sheffield United substitute Paul Peschisolido broke their hearts in the 89th minute.
SHEFFIELD UNITED 4, IPSWICH TOWN 3 – full report and pictures in tonight's Green 'Un
IPSWICH Town went out of the FA Cup today as Sheffield United substitute Paul Peschisolido broke their hearts in the 89th minute.
Joe Royle's battling Blues had gone 3-0 down just over the half-hour mark.
They came back incredibly with three goals in a five-minute spell as Thomas Gaardsoe, a penalty from Tommy Miller and a lovely effort from Darren Bent brought the scores level.
Darren Ambrose was desperately close to putting the Blues ahead, but Peschisolido struck with a minute of normal time to go to put Town out and end a nine-game unbeaten run in league and cup.
But what a fight-back it was, with young substitutes Darren Bent and Darren Ambrose so much involved.
- 1 Apology for Ipswich pub landlords after 'insensitive LGBT+ comments'
- 2 Gucci items hidden in Asda stores across the country
- 3 'A lovely green space' - race against time to buy mini-Ipswich woodland
- 4 ‘I thought I was going to die’ - Woman feels let down after spiking
- 5 'My life is hard enough' - Suffolk disabled dad struggles to repair home
- 6 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 7 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 8 Man acted as lookout while accomplice robbed Ipswich store
- 9 Emergency roadworks on busy Ipswich street to fix leaking water main
- 10 6 ice rinks to visit in Norfolk and Suffolk this Christmas
Ambrose was brought down for Miller's penalty, but he should have scored on two occasions soon after coming on.
The United fans thought a replay was a virtual certainty and if anything, it looked as though Town were going to win it.
But at the end, their heroics were all in vain in South Yorkshire today as the Blades had the last laugh right at the death.
Don't miss your Green 'Un for the full match analysis and round-up of non-league football.