Town promotion dream in tatters
IPSWICH Town's hopes of a Premiership return were finally dashed by West Ham last night.The Blues' 2-0 play-off semi-final defeat at Upton Park condemned them to another season in the Nationwide League.
IPSWICH Town's hopes of a Premiership return were finally dashed by West Ham last night.
The Blues' 2-0 play-off semi-final defeat at Upton Park condemned them to another season in the Nationwide League.
And devastated Town boss Joe Royle admitted: “I wish now that we had finished seventh.”
Second-half goals from Matthew Etherington and Christian Dailly enabled the Hammers to overhaul Ipswich's lead in the tie provided by Darren Bent's header in the Portman Road first leg.
You may also want to watch:
And that robbed Royle's men of the chance to face Crystal Palace in the final at the Millennium Stadium.
Royle said: “We have been scoring for fun this season at times but when we needed a goal we couldn't find one.
- 1 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 4 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 5 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 6 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 7 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 8 Major delays on A12 after five vehicle crash
- 9 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 10 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
“Our lads were honest on the night but they did not play. For one reason or another too many of them froze and it was not a good display.”
FULL REPORT & REACTION IN TONIGHT'S EVENING STAR