Troubled Town are stung by Stoke
Stoke City 2 Ipswich Town 1: IPSWICH fell to their second defeat of the season going down 2-1 at the Britannia Stadium to a Stoke City side that were forth from bottom of Division One at the start of play.
Stoke City 2 Ipswich Town 1
IPSWICH fell to their second defeat of the season going down 2-1 at the Britannia Stadium to a Stoke City side that were forth from bottom of Division One at the start of play.
A poor first-half performance saw the Blues fall behind after 17 minutes when Sergei Shtaniuk's gave Stoke the lead rising unopposed in the Ipswich box to head home Bjarni Gudjonsson's free-kick.
Ipswich showed more fight in the second-half and clawed their way back onto level terms after 67 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Darren Ambrose showed good skill to beat his man before his cross was diverted into his own net by Gunnarsson with Matt Holland in close attention.
It looked like Ipswich might snatch all three points as they continued to put Stoke under pressure but a quick break on 79 minutes from Gudjonsson set up Andy Cooke with the chance and he bundled the ball over the line.
- 1 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 2 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 3 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 4 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 5 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 6 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 7 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 8 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 9 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 10 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
The Ipswich players were stunned by this setback and slumped to a miserable defeat. Although the Blues have games in hand, points on the board are vital even at this early stage of the season.