Troubled Town are stung by Stoke
Stoke City 2 Ipswich Town 1: IPSWICH fell to their second defeat of the season going down 2-1 at the Britannia Stadium to a Stoke City side that were forth from bottom of Division One at the start of play.
Stoke City 2 Ipswich Town 1
IPSWICH fell to their second defeat of the season going down 2-1 at the Britannia Stadium to a Stoke City side that were forth from bottom of Division One at the start of play.
A poor first-half performance saw the Blues fall behind after 17 minutes when Sergei Shtaniuk's gave Stoke the lead rising unopposed in the Ipswich box to head home Bjarni Gudjonsson's free-kick.
Ipswich showed more fight in the second-half and clawed their way back onto level terms after 67 minutes.
Darren Ambrose showed good skill to beat his man before his cross was diverted into his own net by Gunnarsson with Matt Holland in close attention.
It looked like Ipswich might snatch all three points as they continued to put Stoke under pressure but a quick break on 79 minutes from Gudjonsson set up Andy Cooke with the chance and he bundled the ball over the line.
- 1 'He'd be dead' - mum's terror after wave drags her and baby down beach
- 2 Teenager sexually assaulted and then robbed in Ipswich
- 3 Smoke seen across Ipswich as crews tackle large fire
- 4 GALLERY: Photos show devastating aftermath of huge fire near Ipswich
- 5 Ongoing heathland blaze sees 147 calls made to fire service
- 6 Travellers pitch up in one of Ipswich's busiest parks
- 7 Teenager’s 10 year sentence is warning over ‘horrendous’ acid attacks
- 8 Open air theatre coming to Ipswich park later this month
- 9 Redundant care home being used as homes applying for planning after 5 years
The Ipswich players were stunned by this setback and slumped to a miserable defeat. Although the Blues have games in hand, points on the board are vital even at this early stage of the season.