Video/Gallery: The Women’s Tour rider Lucy Garner thanks Felixstowe at the start of third stage
- Credit: Archant
British cyclist Lucy Garner is about to set out on the third stage of the 2014 Women’s Tour from Felixstowe to Clacton.
Before saddling up, she said: “I can’t believe how amazing the support has been here today - everyone is so enthusiastic.”
Crowds have been gathering along the seafront since early this morning, with the race due to start at 11am.
As the cyclists, including Emma Trott, Lizzie Armitstead, Rossella Ratto and Marianne Vos, warmed up, school pupils and cycling clubs were able to take to the roads and help celebrate the sport, which has massively grown in popularity as a result of Team GB’s success at the 2012 Olympics.
Trimley St Martin Primary School teacher Jo Matthews cycled to the race from school with pupils Isabelle Coe and Ellie Vince.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “It’s been great to see such a lot of cyclists on the way here. These girls have just done their cycling proficiency so it’s quite exciting to do the ride and see all the competitors.”
Michael Bays, of Felixstowe, is there with wife Christine, and he said: “I think it’s fantastic that people will get to see the wonderful facilities, the pier and the attractions. It’s a great place to come and when the sun is shining like today it’s even better.”
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 3 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 4 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 5 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 6 London man who travelled to meet decoy teen to stand trial
- 7 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 8 Ipswich parents can 'survive not thrive' on £15 half-term food vouchers
- 9 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 10 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
Today, Ratto is wearing the yellow jersey as the current race leader, she is also the top young rider.
Sharon Laws was also handed a jersey yesterday for winning the mountain challenges while Lizzie Armitstead was the top Brit.
But who will win this stage?
Share your photos from the start line in Felixstowe, along the route and the finish in Clacton. Upload photos at iwitness24Follow the action live here and share the action on Twitter by using #WT2014Suffolk and #WT2014Essex